MM Maintenance???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyBal

I am about ready to start using my new set of Micro Mesh & wanted to know the best way to make it last. I've learned about heat & melting already. Also, to be honest I have never really tried to clean my old set other then smacking the dust off of them. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ve3bax

i use a drop of dish soap (ONE DROP!) in a large mug of water when i use mine, then when i rinse, most of the crud rinses off with ease. the dish soap will reduce the surface tension of the water, so it will get in there and clean the sanding dust out better.

--Dave

EarlD

I use compressed air to clean mine. They've never been wet. I do have a dust collector and I hold the mm right at the dc port when I blow them off. Actually, I blow them every few seconds while turning and blow the blank off also.

Steve Busey

My techniques:
  • wet sand @~1000-1200 rpm (much faster will dry out the pad & shorten it's life)
  • clean with a "sanding eraser" and compressed air
  • I also buy the 3"x4" pads and cut them into 8 sets of 1"x1.5" pads

zig613

I place my MM in a nylon mesh bag and throw it into the washing machine, then lay it out on the counter top in the laundary room to dry.

Wade

Drstrangefart

I just clean mine in the sink with cool water and dish soap whenever I remember to. I have an old coffee mug full of water for using it. Never change the water, never have any real problems to speak of.

bradh

Someone here a few years back told me that MM cleans up nicely when rubbed on denium. Not wanting to wear a hole in every pair of jeans I own, I keep a denim rag near the lathe and place it on the ways, under the mandrel as I use the MM. Just sand with MM and a quick wipe on the denium and the pad is clear ready to sand again. This does not replace washing the pads, but I can finish about 40 pens between washing the MM pads.

Top Bottom