Mineral oil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Has any one tried using mineral oil with CA like BLO?
I have been using it as a lubricant for wet sanding an the results on Antler are astouhding!
I tried a couple yesterday and this morning wet sanding from 320 all the way through micro mesh and they are the best finishes I have had yet.
I am wondering if I can use mineral oil CA to fill in porous grain prior to sanding.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Tell me Tell me... what does it do with antler... I am about to do 6 more antler pens for my craft booth... I can't keep them in stock... also what finish are you putting on the antler after sanding with mineral oil...

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm glad you are having good results, Eagle. One word of caution, though...the mixture of chemicals like these can result in harmful ethers, possible even flammable ones. Make sure your work area is very well ventilated. An ounce of prevention...

G

O.K.
I have had little success with a C.A. slurry,sndpaper and C.A.
I've developed a decent tenique with a skew so I start with 320 sanding grit.
Some antler are porous so I tried C.A. with mineral oil to level out and fill the porous areas.
I start with 320 wet-dry& MO then wipe off with a a paper towel.
I move to 400 wet dry& MO again wipe off with paper towel.
I repeat with 400 grit MM & MO.
I number my MM 1-9.
I figure the first 3or 4 are abrasive the rest "polish"
I continue with MM all the way through #9.
When finished I wipe down with alcohol spin on the lathe to dry( one cigarette worth)
I them use carnauba and heat in in with a paper towel.
3 times,don't know why but I do.
on the third coat od carnauba I give it just a little pressure from the towel and then buff it with a buffing wheel on a drill while the lathe is spinning.
BTW I do the wet dry with the lathe spinning at 2650 I think(fourth pulley on the Jet mini)
I'll try to post a picture later,it's still warm out in the shop and I don't have time to pray to the camera Gods to get the picture under 90 kbps.

Scott

Hi Eagle,

I have tried using mineral oil instead of BLO in a CA/BLO type finish, and it just didn't work the same. But it did work somewhat, so if you're using the mineral oil anyway, I'd give it a shot and see. I did a couple of antler pens the past two days (gone already!), and I did the slurry of CA and sanding dust to fill in the porous parts. That makes for a nice fill that still comes out smooth.

Scott.

G

Scott
Can you expound on exactly how you get a slurry before the ca hardens...
or heats.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Here are pictures that Eagle spoke of a couple of posts above. I didn't do a stunning job on retouching, but I think you can see how amazing some of the coloring is, how well he produces these suckers and that his process sure seems to work!

200412953946_EaglesAntlers.jpg
<br />

Scott

Lets see - slurry. Using a piece of, say, 120 grit paper, I sand until I get some dust built up on the sandpaper. Then I turn the speed down on the lathe, just so the CA doesn't fly around too much. Then still sanding, with the paper held underneath the pen, I drip CA onto the pen barrel from above. It mixes with the sanding dust as it comes around, and just kind of packs it in to the pores and sets it. It happens pretty quick. And do I glue the paper to my fingers sometimes? Well of course! But it wouldn't be fun otherwise! ;-)

Scott.

G

120,Ouch!
The only thing I need the slurry for in the porous sections.
I usually start sanding at 320.
I found out once I learned how to sharpen and use a skew I could save million$ on sand paper.

Scott

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />120,Ouch!

He, he, he! [}:)]

OK, I usually start sanding at about 280 myself. But if I'm doing something that needs to be filled with a slurry such as this, I do drop down to about 150 to generate a larger quantity of dust. Besides, after you do this step, you have dusty CA glue stuck all over your nicely turned pen blank, and you have to sand it all off anyway! [:)]

Scott.

G

Originally posted by Scott
<br />
Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />120,Ouch!

He, he, he! [}:)]

OK, I usually start sanding at about 280 myself. But if I'm doing something that needs to be filled with a slurry such as this, I do drop down to about 150 to generate a larger quantity of dust. Besides, after you do this step, you have dusty CA glue stuck all over your nicely turned pen blank, and you have to sand it all off anyway! [:)]

Scott.

Not to mention the sandpaper stuck to your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom