Micromesh Grades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

adirondak5

Here's a chart I have that shows grit equivalents for the 6000 and 8000 but just says sub micron for the 12000 , hope this helps

ehMACbx.jpg

I have no idea what the comparable grit is. I read years ago that it is finer than Novus #3, but not as fine as Novus #2. For those that use Novus, like myself, it's a good tidbit of knowledge.

magpens

An approximate rule-of-thumb is to multiply the MMX grit by about 7 to get the MMR grit.

Last edited:

qquake

I have no idea what the comparable grit is. I read years ago that it is finer than Novus #3, but not as fine as Novus #2. For those that use Novus, like myself, it's a good tidbit of knowledge.

That's interesting. My polishing regimen is all 9 grades of Micromesh, then Novus 3 and 2, followed by PlastX.

That's interesting. My polishing regimen is all 9 grades of Micromesh, then Novus 3 and 2, followed by PlastX.

It's probably been 15 years since I read the article, give or take a few years. I'm thinking it was in Fine Scale Modeler but I could be wrong. If I recall correctly, it was a gameplan on getting the best shine for a natural metal finish, possibly with Alclad paints, which requires glass smooth plastic to start with, and instructed how to use micromesh pads and Novus to achieve a realistic aluminum or other metal finish on aircraft. The main thing that stuck with me was it stating not to use #3 for this reason. I suppose the author could have been wrong, but I haven't used #3 since on models except for buffing the canopies, and I haven't used it on any pens. I think I'll do a test when I have the time, finishing to 12,000 on two pieces then only polishing one with #3 to see if I can tell a difference.

Top Bottom