Metal Inlay Powder for laser engraving?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

Has anyone tried using metal inlay powder to accent the engraving on a blank?
Grizzly (of all people) and Amazon have listings for it.
jgsYh1Qm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

Rub n buf comes in a tube at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores.

Excellent! Thanks.

Of the 8 pens I sold to co-workers that they bought to give as Xmas presents 5 of them asked if I could engrave them. The laser printing needs more contrast on a dark wood pen.

ramaroodle

Excellent! Thanks.

Of the 8 pens I sold to co-workers that they bought to give as Xmas presents 5 of them asked if I could engrave them. The laser printing needs more contrast on a dark wood pen.

Yes I know! I had to do 50 of them in 2009 :redface:

So, since you have some experience with it what is your technique for using it if you don't mind me asking?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Excellent! Thanks.

Yes I know! I had to do 50 of them in 2009 :redface:

So, since you have some experience with it what is your technique for using it if you don't mind me asking?
Not at all! A little dab on your finger rub it into the engraving then buff with a clean soft cloth. (old Tshirt works) As you buff, it heats up and sets. Clean up with some mineral spirits. I used odorless. It comes in several colors. I used silver. My pens had CA finish. Clean up was no problem. If you are not using CA, I suggest you do a test, and see how it works for you.

ramaroodle

Again, thanks. Just grabbed some from Hobby Lobby. Haven't had a chance to use it on a pen yet but I tried it on some scrap. Could be the answer!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
CA first. Get ALL the scratches out. Put a dab on your finger and rub it into the engraving. Wipe it off with a cloth, buff it, and clean up excess with mineral spirits on a clean spot on the cloth. I'm pretty sure it tells you how to use it, on the tube.

ramaroodle

CA first. Get ALL the scratches out. Put a dab on your finger and rub it into the engraving. Wipe it off with a cloth, buff it, and clean up excess with mineral spirits on a clean spot on the cloth. I'm pretty sure it tells you how to use it, on the tube.
Yeah. There are instructions on the tube but I have read various methods of applying it and adapting it for pen making. Some say engrave the bare wood, apply RnB then sand then CA. Others say apply one thin coat of CA before burning and yet others say finish completely before engraving. Just curious what works.

Top Bottom