Meguiars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RayT

I'm new around here so if this has been discussed I apologize. Does anyone use any Meguiars products for rubbing out or polishing. If so what do you think of it.

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi Ray...Good to see you posting! If you do a search on Meguires (spelled my way, even if it's wrong [:D]), you will find dozens of posts. It sticks out in my mind that Waneis is somewhat of an expert on it. Hopefully he'll see this and fill you in. [8D]

wayneis

Hello Ray, I use there mirror glaze I think it is number nine. I use it on acrylics and it works very well. I also use it after I use Enduro Poly which is what I use for a finish on all of the wood pens that I make. It's a light compound designed I believe for clear coat on autos. Great stuff. Why do you ask?

Wayne

R

RayT

I was in the auto paint store the other day to get some sand paper and while there I was reading the Meguiars labels. One of them was a carnuba wax so I picked up a bottle to try. I've used it a couple of times so far and think I like it. Just wondering what other folks opinions were about the products. I don't remember what number was on the bottle, I will have to look tomorrow when I go to the shop. But then I've only made a hand full of pens so what do I know.

Ray

J. Fred Muggs

Has anyone tried Novus #2 plastic polish and scratch remover for polishing the myriad of plastics? Penn State now sells it for $5 - 6 a bottle. I've used it for years on acrylics and polycarbonates (non-turned stuff), and am now using it for Acrylic, and Tru-stone pens. It works great for me. I wet sand to 600 grit then use the Novus for a fantastic shine. I have gone to much finer grits before the novus. The difference is only that the novus works a bit faster if I went to 1500 - 2000 grit first. All in all, its less total time to quit at 600 and apply the novus. I apply it with lathe running at a relatively slow speed, keep it damp (with water), and continue til it shines better than a new car finish. Only takes about a minute.

I'm especially interested in comparing to the Meguiar's or other plastic polishes.

wayneis

The reason that I started using the Meguire's Mirror Glaze is because it is what the Company the sells Enduro recommends for rubbing out the Enduro after it cures. I've also used it on acrylics and it also works very well so I don't think that I will be purchasing the special polishes anymore. It sounds like you may have a different Meguires product. Does it come in a tan colored plastic bottel? What I am using is also kind of a tan or brown color thick liquid.

Wayne

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
I was using an automotive 'swirl' remover polish for awhile. I found that when polishing wood that had open pores or tiny cracks like wenge or cocobolo, it put on quite a shine *but* the polish (white) would lodge in the cracks. I had a heck of a time getting it out. I now hesitate to use it on any wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom