Medical CA for Allergies?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donstephan

During a natural edge bowl turning demo at the Cincinnati woodturning group this morning, one of the attendees said woodworking CA produces dry skin reaction on his hands, and was wondering if the slightly different formulation of medical CA would produce the same reaction. Anyone have any experience or knowledge?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
They make butyl and octyl ca for medical use. They were developed to reduce reactions and to minimize tissue damage.

zener

Odorless CA is less likely to cause reactions. It's made from different substances and cures more slowly I believe. Medical grade CA would probably be prohibitively expensive. I've heard of some people using veterinary CA as a cheaper alternative to "medical CA", so that might be something to look into, but regular odorless CA may work just fine.

robertkulp

Many times it's not the cyanoacrylate that causes reactions, but the added chemicals some companies use. The "proprietary ingredients" can be very hazardous substances that can cause both health problems as well as problems as a long-term wood finish.

farmer

CA

I glove up .....
I bought a pick up load of surgical gloves at a store going out of business.

leehljp

Member Liaison
There must be different kinds of reactions. I do not have a problem with CA on the skin or hands. I do have severe reactions to the fumes. With a dual filter face mask, a fan and a DC system at the lathe, I can get CA all over my hands without a problem, and not get severe flu like symptoms.

Top Bottom