Mcguire's Headlight protectant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

I know a number of turners finish their CA polishing with Mcguire's plastic polish. I was looking at a Mcguires's kit I had for polishing car headlights and it finishes with "headlight protectant" that claims to add UV protection.

Here is the question. Would something like this help, as a final finish, with woods that change coloration with UV exposure like purple heart etc.?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I use Maguire's 105 and 205 to remove fine scratches (if necessary)..they are polishes though. The best (for me) protectorant that I have found is this:https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-Te...4593598&sr=1-2&keywords=rejex+polymer+coating

A bottle this size will last you about 5 years (as long as you keep the bottle sealed). The finish is super slick so be careful not to allow the blank to slip from your hands (like I used to).

As I always add..many use other products and are very satisfied with results. I used to be a auto detailing enthusiast and stumbled upon this stuff.

Enjoy the hunt.

Talltim

Does that add enough UV protection that you can notice a delay in the change of coloration on UV sensitive woods?

PS. I see I butchered the spelling of Maguire's.

jttheclockman

No, can't stop it.

Not all purple heart wood is the same. Depends where it was grown and how it was harvested will determine if it changes color at all. Same for many other woods.

Last edited:

TonyL

Does that add enough UV protection that you can notice a delay in the change of coloration on UV sensitive woods?

PS. I see I butchered the spelling of Maguire's.

I would call the company that makes it...but it will wear off eventually.

JT has much more experience with woodworking than I do. I would observe his advice.

Talltim

No, can't stop it.

Not all purple heart wood is the same. Depends where it was grown and how it was harvested will determine if it changes color at all. Same for many other woods.

What way do you harvest wood that prevents color change? I have not heard that before.

No, can't stop it.

What way do you harvest wood that prevents color change? I have not heard that before.

IMO a lot of it has to do with how the wood was dried. For an example, look at the difference in kiln dried walnut vs. air dried walnut.

jttheclockman

No, can't stop it.

I do not harvest wood. ( quick sample Holly is harvested best in the winter to keep the white color) If I had to go into what different countries do to harvest wood I would have to write a book. I suggest check some wood data base sites and learn how wood is cut and where it is grown and why many woods are on the endangered lists. Learn the differences between kiln dried and air dried. Learn the differences between strip farming and protected farming. Much to learn.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

No, can't stop it.

IMO a lot of it has to do with how the wood was dried. For an example, look at the difference in kiln dried walnut vs. air dried walnut.

Because of the demand and it is rushed.

Top Bottom