M3 Metal Pen Finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I just turned an M3 Metal Pen blank. The place I ordered it from had no more of the metal polish. I finished it with Micromesh, Novus 3-2, and buffing. I got a good shine on the pen but I was unhappy with the actual finish.

Would the metal polish they sell with the M3 pen blanks really do that much more?

Has anyone tried any substitute to the metal polish?

I can order it from another supplier but I wanted to be sure there was not another option. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I have tried a lot of alternatives to metal polish. None of them have given acceptable results.

Given the supposedly high metal content in the blanks, the need for metal polish makes sense.

brownsfn2

Do I need to buy the polish that comes with the M3 Pen blanks? Like the stuff at woodcraft or Penn State etc.? I guess I am wondering if there is an alternative that I can pick up at an automotive store or hardware store?

Fibonacci

The ones that they sell work well, but the two batches I got dried out really quickly.

I ended up moving to the inexpensive rim polish from the auto parts store. It takes a little longer than the two part ones because it is just the finer grit, but it gives a great finish.

I skew, then micromesh, then use the metal polish, then put a touch of wax on it to protect against oxidization.

randbcrafts

Micromesh and Novus should give you simmilar results, but the polish is much easier. With the polish, you only need to go through 400 grit and then go straight to the 2 part polish. Not sure if it was me that you ordered from during the bash or not (I did run out and had a note on the site about it). If it was me you ordered from, I should have some more in late this week. Let me know and I will send you some.

brownsfn2

It was from your site. I sent you a PM. Thanks so much!

Micromesh and Novus should give you simmilar results, but the polish is much easier. With the polish, you only need to go through 400 grit and then go straight to the 2 part polish. Not sure if it was me that you ordered from during the bash or not (I did run out and had a note on the site about it). If it was me you ordered from, I should have some more in late this week. Let me know and I will send you some.

randyrls

I just turned an M3 Metal Pen blank. The place I ordered it from had no more of the metal polish.
Has anyone tried any substitute to the metal polish?

The suppliers here are top notch!

Metal polishes are available in severla grits from Harbor Freight and some auto supply stores.

Quality Pen

So I just finished an M3 pen and I was wondering... does that polish go bad?

I really didn't have nice results with an m3 mokume and I'm wondering if the part A has dried out. I've only used it once prior but the 2 part polish was from September...

Would that have effected its function?

Top Bottom