loctite 495

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

im sure there is a lot that has used this method for finishing,,this morning I was turning a bottle stopper out of cherry,,and I wanted to put a ca finish on it but never could get it right despite all the you tube videos I had watched,,lol,,plus the odor was really bad,,so I took me some Johnson paste wax and mixed a little mineral oil in ,,I begain applying it and sanding it with the paste wax and it looked good but I wanted a high gloss finish,,,i noticed that I had some Loctite 495 superglue,,,,i thought what the heck,,i put about 6 coats on it and never once sanded it,,then used the one step plastic polish and it not only produced a very high gloss,,but its as slick as if you had sanded it between coats,,plus you did not have the odor,,,lol,,it amazed me,,hope this helps someone like myself that is having a hard time with ca,,thank you

Attachments

• loctite 495 010.jpg
    loctite 495 010.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 183
  • loctite 495 011.jpg
    loctite 495 011.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Loctite 495 is described as 'instant adhesive' and is CA. Loctite part No. 49550 and I have been using it for years in my shop. However this CA does have both an odor and irritates the eyes. The label on my 1oz. super bonder clearly states:

WARNING: eye and respiratory irritant bonds skin in seconds.

KenV

Sound like you have a different CC-Oil finish working for you.

If it is durable over time, another way to do it.

I suspect the CA is reacting with the wax/oil instead of producing fumes. One of the things I appreciate with CA and walnut oil bowl finish combination.

SteveG

Sound like you have a different CC-Oil finish working for you.

If it is durable over time, another way to do it.

I suspect the CA is reacting with the wax/oil instead of producing fumes. One of the things I appreciate with CA and walnut oil bowl finish combination.

That is an interesting concept. I previously had used the CA/BLO approach to my wood pen finishes. I still experienced plenty of CA fumes, but there was no wax involved in the process.

jeff3285

this is another picture out of a scrap piece of popular I was playing with,,it has 2 coats and buffed out with the one step polish,,,in 5 min or less

Attachments

• 495 again 002.jpg
    495 again 002.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 495 again 003.jpg
    495 again 003.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 187
Top Bottom