Life after CA - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Life after CA

I had some indications that I might be getting sensitized to CA (burning sinuses) and yep, I have been using a respirator and gloves. I was pretty bummed out since CA gave me a hard and fast-curing finish.

Based on a couple of posts here on IAP, I tried dipping the blanks in Enduro. I dipped them twice, reversing the blank on the second dip. I waited until the blank was just slightly tacky (based on the finish on the bushing) between dips. I did not sand between dips. Wow, that was easy. I set the blanks overnight on the portable oil-filled radiator in my den and was able to micromesh the few dust specks and polish the blanks with Hut's plastic polish (at low speed on my Shopsmith) the next evening. Here is one of the pens I recently did for a church craft show fundraiser.

This system is practically without fumes of any sort and much easier to use - no respirator required.

galoot_loves_tools is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 10

Very nice looking. I may have to try something other than CA myself. Something has been giving me a reaction on my hands/arms and it may be from sanding the ca.
LarryDNJR is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDNJR View Post
Very nice looking. I may have to try something other than CA myself. Something has been giving me a reaction on my hands/arms and it may be from sanding the ca.
I have been told that CA dust can cause a allergic reaction in sensitive individuals, another reason I started to get concerned. The dipped Enduro blanks are almost glass smooth, there is almost no sanding involved, but even so I have not read that cured poly is allergenic.

Advertisement
Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Former Moderator

Photos: 7

That looks great. If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'm a little confused by some of your dip comments. Questions:

You said dip twice, based on tacky finish on the bushings - You dip including the bushings? On a mandrel or not?

What about finish inside the tube then?

Whats your pre-dip stop point? Sand to ?? Micromesh??

Thanks for any info you share!

Fill in your info!! so we can find out if your near other turners!
alphageek is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphageek View Post
That looks great. If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'm a little confused by some of your dip comments. Questions:

You said dip twice, based on tacky finish on the bushings - You dip including the bushings? On a mandrel or not?

What about finish inside the tube then?

Whats your pre-dip stop point? Sand to ?? Micromesh??

Thanks for any info you share!
I sanded the blanks to 600 grit and applied 3 coats of Zinnser Sealcoat (actually this is dewaxed shellac) on the blanks with about 10 to 30 minutes between coats. I let them dry for a at least a couple of hours, until the shellac sanded to a powder, and sanded them with 600 grit paper being careful not to cut through the sealer. It's important to dip with the original bushings (or ones you make) that are very close in diameter to the blank so that the finish flows evenly off of the blank. I dipped with the blank on the bushings on a threaded 1/4x20 threaded rod. The bushings were held on by nuts and tightened with finger pressure. The lower nut was just threaded on, the rod end did not protrude, and I rested the rod plus nuts on the lower nut when drying. I dipped the rod plus bushings into the Enduro, in the can, very slowly, until the top bushing was half submerged. The lower nut kept the finish out of the tube, I did not have to do any clean-up in the tube afterward.

To sand down the few dust nits on the dry blanks, I used nail buffing pads, the pink and white ones that some drugstores and Sally's Beauty Supply sell. The pink side is coarser, but still roughly equal to about 2000/2500 grit paper. The white side is maybe a little coarser than the gray micromesh. I sanded just the nits with the pink side, polished a bit on the white side, followed by gray micromesh and then Huts plastic polish. Took about 5 minutes per blank. Some of the blanks were dust free, those I just gave a quick pass with the white/gray micromesh and plastic polish.

I went out yesterday and bought some threaded stove bolts of different lengths and some nylon nuts. I am constructing a rack I can place on the bench and radiator where I can hang the blanks since it is risking fate to have them just sitting on the lower nuts while drying. No kids or pets in the house but still...

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 10

that's a way cool idea. I know they use that on pool cue finishing but I believe they spray it on, I think dipping might be better. thanks for the tip.

aggromere is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Where was the Enduro purchased? What is the stuff?
gallianp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Looks like General Finishes makes Enduro:
http://www.generalfinishes.com/

Here's a link to Enduro on Rockler's site:
http://www.rockler.com/search_result...12&submit.y=10

I'm definitely going to give this a try!

Gary Hughes

Atherton Pens

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Atherton Pens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

My brother recently bought (off of E-Bay) a small gear reduction motor that is used to slowly turn fishing rods after you epoxy on new guide rings. Keeping the rod rotating slowly, about 12 rpm I think, keeps the epoxy from running to one side of the rod until it is dry. The first thing that popped in my head when I saw it was using it to finish pens. I may have to "borrow" it and give it a try. They're plentiful and relatively cheap on E-Bay and available in different RPM ratings as well. Just a thought.
mach9 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 31

I use an old rotisserie motor.
socdad is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads