Leather dye source

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I thought I would start a new thread since the other one was getting very long.
John showed a pic of 3 beautiful pens-red, white and blue that he used leather dye on. Very intense colors. He mentioned where he got the dye. I found another source of leather dye. They have at least a dozen colors. It is a gourd supply site. Gourd carvers also use leather dye in their creations. The site is WWW.turtlefeathers.com
It is in N. Carolina. The colors shown look very intense also. They sell in small bottles and pint containers. The pint size is $7.00 I think. If anyone tries this let us know. I would be very interested in how intense the color is on a pen. I have to much of the analine stuff right now to order anything else.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Thanks for posting, Jim. I might have missed it, but did not see any purple! Maybe I can mix my own. I will probably order some soon.

Maybe the weather will warm up enough to get back to making pens in the garage. I sold most of them in December.

Deere41h

A word of caution when using these leather dyes. Wear Rubber gloves. It takes forever to wear off you hands!! Does that sound like the voice of experience?

I have not tried the dyes mentioned from turtlefeathers. I don't know if they will work the same.

Gary

I'm going to order some from turtle feathers. I have a lot of curly maple blanks that will be good candidates for it. I'll post something when I get them done.

jimr

Thats a good tip, John. I hope that means that it also penetrates and is durable on pens. I have always worn gloves with the analine dye also.

bassman00

Originally posted by Gary
<br />I'm going to order some from turtle feathers. I have a lot of curly maple blanks that will be good candidates for it. I'll post something when I get them done.
I'll probably do the same thing for exactly the same reason. Thanks for the pointer to that site jimr. I had tried to order up the sample kit of the Chestnut Spirit Stains per Anthony's suggestion but CSUSA stopped carrying the sampler and didn't have many sample sizes left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom