Large Zip Kicker CA Accelerator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

So i was cruising through IPD and ran into a new to me accelerator called Zip Kicker. I have always used NCF from WC on my CA Finish and am very happy w/ my results but IPD has a can that is 1oz smaller but less than half the price delivered so I can get 10oz for less than I can get 6oz from WC. Has anyone tried Zip and if so could you please share your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave Turner

I find the nozzle of the Zip Kicker can to produce a relatively course spray. It also has an "oily" feeling residue after spraying. While Zip Kicker is fine for general CA gluing, I went back to the NCF accelerator for my CA finish since I find I get a finer spray that drys immediately with NCF. It's a shame since, like you say, the Zip Kicker is much less expensive. I would advise you try it to see how you like it since others here seem to have a different experience than I.

The spray may be a tad course but what does that matter? it does have an Oily feel but what does that matter? I have gone through probably over a dozen cans and love it. I started with the over priced PSI glue and since I found this IPD`s site it is all I use on my CA finishes.

IPD_Mr

Long before pen turning we started using the Zap brand products. They had a pump accelerator, but the pump was crappy and failed or came out in globs. When the company went to the aerosol cans it was a vast improvement because you would get consistency throughout the can, not just the first dozen pumps like the old pump bottles did. We began using CA in the restoration of antique furniture. Best thing since sliced bread for chair rungs. But even with the spray if you got too much of it, especially on the thicker CAs you could get the smoking, frosting and cracking. This would ruin a finish job on a chair when it did this and then you would have more work than if you knocked the chair apart and re-glued it. We learned to control the aerosol by aiming well above the target from 18-24 inches away and giving a short burst from the can. This would let a fine mist float down onto the area that we glued. I apply the same technique when using it on pens, for the same reasons. Our hardware store has many people that still do not like the aerosol and will use the pump. We also have people that will not use the pump. Like with anything it is always a personal preference and how you use it. What is most important is what works best for you.

Top Bottom