Lacquer Tacky

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Man

I some time air brush on lacquer, some of my pens I have in a display are sticking to the felt, and they had set for 2 weeks befor putting together. I put the lacquer in the bottle then added lacquer thinner, What I wonder is if I did not have the lacquer mixed good enough befor I put it in the jar maybe the lacquer seperated . WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

what time of year was it? temperature and humidity can have a lot to do with it....say your shop stays near or below 50s....the lacquer's not going to cure at all at that temperature. Same as if its REALLY humid. That could be a factor, but generally if you're thinning it, it'll actually dry quicker. The lacquer thinner will evaporate and help the whole thing to dry quicker, I doubt that's your problem.

MDWine

I love lacquer, myself.

Lacquer takes quite a while to cure completely, however.

After spraying lacquer on a pen blank, I will let it cure for 30 to 45 days BEFORE I even try to polish it. (I've been using MM) The problem is that even though it feels dry to the touch, even after hours or weeks, the depth of the finish is not cured!

I can tell if the lacquer hasn't cured when I get little "eraser like" noodles when using the MM. I noticed that the lacquer would have the impression of the elastic band from my pen holder if I didn't let it cure properly.

Lou (Sensei) taught me this, and the result is a very nice, very durable finish IF you let it cure enough. If I remember correctly, Sensei, even a thin coat of lacquer could take months to cure, right?

Just my .01 (devalued opinion pennys), your milage may vary. Hopefully Lou will give us the details.

marcruby

I've read a number of threads where this problem comes up. I guess the big question in my mind is that, if considitions in the shop impede curing why not just move the curing part of the process into the house? While I don't use laqguer, I do use finishes that take a day or so to set up, like waterlox. It works fine in a dry 70 degree house.

Marc

GouletPens

I've read a number of threads where this problem comes up. I guess the big question in my mind is that, if considitions in the shop impede curing why not just move the curing part of the process into the house? While I don't use laqguer, I do use finishes that take a day or so to set up, like waterlox. It works fine in a dry 70 degree house.

Marc
Or at least apply it in the shop then bring it in the house...I'm assuming you're not going to want to spray lacquer in your house.

marcruby

Or at least apply it in the shop then bring it in the house...I'm assuming you're not going to want to spray lacquer in your house.

You point is well taken, but the truth is that I don't spray, I apply a thin layer with a bit of cloth. I did buy a wee dust mask for my cat - he was unimpressed.

Marc

GouletPens

You point is well taken, but the truth is that I don't spray, I apply a thin layer with a bit of cloth. I did buy a wee dust mask for my cat - he was unimpressed.

Marc
I referring to Tom's original post where he said he air brushed, but if you're just rubbing it on then you could do it anywhere I guess, as long as you don't mind the smell.

DurocShark

Another possibility I have run into with flatwork: Deft lacquers don't like it when you use a brush that is still damp with lacquer thinner. It'll stay tacky for months.

MDWine

Michael: nice avatar!! I graduated from there in 2006.

Lots of our money went to Tech from 2004-2008. My son graduated in May of 08.
He came home, but the money did not!

Now my youngest is applying, and auditioned for the Music Program... I guess more of my money will be going to Tech... but that's a great thing!

GO HOKIES!!

jttheclockman

If you are using nitro laquers, you should try waterbased laquers. less smell and clean up with water. 2 months for laquer to cure is too long in my book. That is a thin layer. Not like a piece of furniture. 2 weeks is more like it. But even that is pushing it. Of course you can't leave out in 50 degree temps. Place it under a heat lamp to speed drying. Could also be the laquer is bad. What was the wood that the pens were made from. If it is an oily wood they should have been wiped with acetone and then sealed first with either dewaxedshellac or CA. Just some thoughts.

Top Bottom