KISS for TBC finishing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurtleTom

I think I might have perfected the technique for TBC finishing.
A simple taper in the chuck. A Christmas tree taper (7mm tight fit shaft) for the mandrel saver, all HDPE. I can't get it any more simple than this. :)

Attachments

• HDPEbushings.jpg
    HDPEbushings.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Tom, that works!

I was also thinking if that is 1/2" Delrin rod, it would fit nicely in a collet chuck.
A larger diameter rod would allow a MT2 to be cut on the back end and not need any chuck.
As for me, I just use my 60 degree dead center and a 60 degree live tail center. Any built up CA trims off easily with a knife while the center is spinning. I use a kitchen knife in skew mode.

BTW, looking at your avatar pic reminds me of Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings! Just a little wardrobe change and you are there!:biggrin:

Dan Masshardt

I think using the centers you are already turning on is the kiss solution.

Yours will work fine I'm sure but you need to change tooling and probably re-true the piece every time you put it in the chuck.

TurtleTom

"Kitchen knife in skew mode". Sounds like a Freddie the Slasher Movie Title, or a punk rock band name.
Makes sense if your knife sharpener is easier to use than your skew sharpener, which I believe most are. I wouldn't use my Miyabi knife for that.

TurtleTom

:redface:So I'm wasting my time with the HDPE centers and go back to the brass taper and 60* center, huh? And I was so hoping to find a use for the mandrel saver besides a paperweight.:wink:

magpens

You have a great KISS solution to a common problem, Tom. Good for you !! I have been doing something similar for quite a while but yours is an even better idea.

I meet the criterion Dan stated ... same centers for turning and CA'ing. I use a (tapered) bolt extractor in each end. The contact between the ridges on the bolt extractor and the brass tube is minimal and the workpiece easily comes off.

Last edited:

TurtleTom

You have a great KISS solution to a common problem, Tom. Good for you !! I have been doing something similar for quite a while but yours is an even better idea.

I meet the criterion Dan stated ... same centers for turning and CA'ing. I use a (tapered) bolt extractor in each end. The contact between the ridges on the bolt extractor and the brass tube is minimal and the workpiece easily comes off.

Fascinating! What kind of bolt extractor?

Top Bottom