Keeping white woods white

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I have seen some pens on here that have maple and it is white. How do you keep it white? No matter what I put on the maple it is getting a yellow tinge.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I have noticed that Holly does that too. I have a pen I made 18 months ago of holly and African blackwood and the holly looks more like Canary wood, yellow as bananas. I doubt there is anything we can do to stop this over the long haul, it's the UV that does it is my guess. I try to plan for it in the initial design plan and just accept it.
WB

okiebugg

white

I have seen some pens on here that have maple and it is white. How do you keep it white? No matter what I put on the maple it is getting a yellow tinge.

It's been my experience that anything that contains 'colored' oil ie. BLO, shellac, tung or others including CA , or any hydrocarbon based spray finishes will darken your wood. Water based Polyurethane, Lacquer, and others will leave your wood about 95% of the color you started with.

I use straight lacquer (hydrocarbon based) for most of my finishing. In particular, Deft gloss spray lacquer 4 to 6 coats over 48 hours will give you a glassy finish after sanding and will only slightly darken the wood. . JMHO

Top Bottom