Inexpensive CA that dries gloss - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

If I'm brushing (while turning on the lathe) I like the coverage that enamels provide, but I've been dabbling with the airbrush (very new to that) and stick mostly to acrylics for the easy cleanup w/o acetone or other nasty chemicals. I've got about a dozen finished bobbers sitting here on the bench, maybe I'll toss a pic up in the "other stuff" forum sometime soon.

You need to be careful with either one, as both will run if you rub them while applying the CA on the lathe. I turn the lathe down as slow as it will go (about 500 rpm) and quickly and carefully apply a medium/thick CA using light pressure. Too much pressure and you'll rub out the paint, but if I'm careful with the first layer, it's all downhill from there.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

MiteyF,

I know this was a last week question but I will add my 2cents.

A few people "dip" their turned pen blanks in finishes - CA (thin), lacquer, poly, maybe others. A few put them the dipped blank a slow rotisserie and they shine well.

For your information, only a very few people probably do NOT sand their finish at least once or twice, so you are in relative unexplored territory as far as not sanding a finish. You are welcome to find those here that think in that direction and develop it. New ideas are often challenged by some but welcomed by many.

I would love to see how this develops. Thanks for posting and asking this question.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Default Wouldn't matte be better

As a woodworking flyfisher, the idea of turning my own floats sounds great! I never thought of it before, but you can bet I'm gonna try it!

One question, though, and maybe it's just a difference between angling and flyfishing: I select floats that are as invisible to the fish as possible. The last thing I want is my indicator spooking them.

With that in mind, wouldn't you actually be better off with a very dull matte finish? It would look to the fish like floating detritus on the stream, which they're used to. A high gloss might reflect flashes of light, which will keep them away.
mgatten is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgatten View Post
As a woodworking flyfisher, the idea of turning my own floats sounds great! I never thought of it before, but you can bet I'm gonna try it!

One question, though, and maybe it's just a difference between angling and flyfishing: I select floats that are as invisible to the fish as possible. The last thing I want is my indicator spooking them.

With that in mind, wouldn't you actually be better off with a very dull matte finish? It would look to the fish like floating detritus on the stream, which they're used to. A high gloss might reflect flashes of light, which will keep them away.
The thought of color spooking fish has certainly crossed my mind, but never finish. Most bobbers that you'd buy are white on the bottom, as the fish will be looking up into the light of day. You don't want a big dark shadow to spook them. Most of the bobbers I turn are either white or natural wood on the underside for this reason. I have also made a few that are other colors, mostly because I'm trying to teach myself to airbrush, and it's fun to play with bright colors. I think green is another good color, as it looks like a piece of leaf litter etc.

Personally, I don't think that a matte vs gloss finish would be much of a deterrent for a fish, certainly not as much so as a day glow orange! If you're fishing very close to the surface (super short leader between your bobber and bait), in extremely clear water, or around exceptionally spooky fish, I could see this being something to think about. However, I'd assume that the big floating *thing* would be much scarier than a light flash off the surface. Remember, fish see flashes from the surface all day every day, from even the slightest ripple in the water. I prefer the gloss finish for 2 reasons. One, when you've got a bobber waaaaay out there, where you can barely see it, sometimes you'll pick up a slight glimmer from the sun (after you've reached for your beer and lost your bobber's spot), and 2, they look prettier

However, I'm not a terribly "serious" angler (like most of you fly fisherman!). I love to fish, but it's as much about being on the water on a beautiful day with a cold drink as it is fishing. Sooooo... I could be very wrong!

I haven't had time to turn many of these recently, all of my turning time has been spent working on an order for a co-worker. However, I've been playing around with the airbrush a little. Turns out, I'm not very good at it yet

If you turn some, or need some advice, please share!

MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads