Inexpensive CA that dries gloss - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Inexpensive CA that dries gloss

All of my pens right now are finished with Loctite 416. It's an amazing CA. We use it at work and I take home whatever is "expired". We cannot legally use it past its expiration date, but it's still plenty good far beyond that. I save the company hazardous waste disposal fees, I get free glue. However, I'm getting ready to move across country and will have to (gasp) *purchase* my CA from here on out.

Recently I've been turning some (OK, a bunch) of fishing floats, and decided to experiment with other CA's. I still use CA as a finish for my bobbers, but because they are frequently lost, dinged, broken etc, I don't bother sanding or polishing. I just seal, paint, and apply a thick coat of CA, and the finish is a perfectly acceptable gloss (with the 416) for what it is.

HOWEVER, upon trying 2 or 3 other types of CA, it seems most of them dry to a matte finish. I'm not willing to take the time to sand/polish these, nor am I willing to pay the big money that Loctite 416 demands.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, thick/extra thick CA that will cure to at least a reasonable gloss finish on its own?

Many thanks in advance.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 63

I use the BSI (Bob Smith Industries) line of CA and apply with the lathe turning very slowly, while rubbing lightly with the usual blue shop towel or a pen kit baggie or craft foam.

To me, it seems to dry/cure with a glossy finish. However for pens it needs sanding/polishing.

For your purposes it may work

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I don't know of any that do not require some polishing. to bring the finish to a very high lustre. I am following.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Group Buy Coordinator

Photos: 13

Everybody has their favorite CA. Mine is EZ Bond. Been using it with great results for over 12 years. I get it from Exoticblanks.com.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Monty, Mag, thanks for the suggestions.

Obviously all of my pens get polished to 12k MM, but these little guys aren't worth the time.

Tony, I do not need a high luster, I just prefer a general "gloss" finish.

For example, I snapped a quick pic of my last 4 bobbers. The lighting is bad, and it was taken with a phone (quick snapshot) but even here you can tell the difference.

3 of the 4 were finished with 416, the other was another brand. This is the finish straight off the lathe, apply and let sit. Not hard to tell which is which.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Your bobber pics are better than my phone pics. In my experience, regardless of which brand of CA (from Hobby Lobby-who knows what brands to EZ Cure to Mercury- and everything in between), my pre sanding finish look like the two on the right. I must be very lucky, but I have not had any that looked like the bobber on the far right. I would be happy to send you some of the EZ Bond (medium) which is actually quite thick. I use Mercury flex for 9 of 10 of my finishes (it is made locally here and it is sold at a local hobby shop).

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Monty, Mag, thanks for the suggestions.

Obviously all of my pens get polished to 12k MM, but these little guys aren't worth the time.

Tony, I do not need a high luster, I just prefer a general "gloss" finish.

For example, I snapped a quick pic of my last 4 bobbers. The lighting is bad, and it was taken with a phone (quick snapshot) but even here you can tell the difference.

3 of the 4 were finished with 416, the other was another brand. This is the finish straight off the lathe, apply and let sit. Not hard to tell which is which.

Couple of bobbers the finish dont look right to me , on a pen i dont think that finish would be exceptable ..

As of using expired CA , sooner or later its going to catch up with you if it already hasnt .

I use polishing creams and hand rub out the finish. I hate Micro Mesh ..

I dont really care for CA finishes, but when I was using CA i used stickfast .
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I am able to get a decent finish using Mercury Flex Thin without any sanding or polishing. It's a little more viscous than other thin CA I have used, and has a much longer work time. Having a little Flex in the CA might not be a bad thing for a bobber either.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Tony, I'd love a sample if you are willing. I'll shoot you a PM.

Farmer, like I said, none of those bobbers are even close to what I consider acceptable for a pen, I just wanted to show the difference between CA's. Also, (as mentioned) I don't plan on doing any sanding/buffing/polishing. These are made to be lost. I only started turning them because at $2-3 a pop, it was much cheaper to make them, then it turned out to be fun. They make great cheap, easy gifts too. I like to trade them for beers while fishing! But if I can get a better finish with the same amount of work, I think it would be silly not to. As far as expired CA goes, I'll cross that bridge when it comes. I've used this 416 *years* past it's "expiration" date, and never once had an issue.

Dehn, the Mercury looks to be about $35 for a half pint, about 1/4 the price of the Loctite. I'll put it on my list to try. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry to change the subject a little but what do you use to color your bobbers that stand up to CA? Those look great.
Thanks,
Ray
Logged on members can hide ads