I'm trying this new stuff for finishing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
The guy in the paint dept. at Lowes said they just got this in. You all may already be aware of it but I wasn't and I'm at Lowes so much they are concerned I will have my mail forwarder to them. I'm using the semi-gloss spray on a large plaque I'm making for a lady lawyer and so far it looks pretty good. It comes in gloss for sure and flat I think. Dry time could be an issue for pens, about an hour under good conditions, and the fumes will cause flashbacks to the 60s for us older folks and a recent trip to Denver for the younger ones so have lots of fresh air available. Anyone else have experience with this stuff?
WB

Attachments

• Watco laquer.jpg
    Watco laquer.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 364
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Drys fast but needs to cure for a week or so before using a buffer. Lowes stopped selling Deft lacquer and started carrying the WATCO brand. When I use lacquer I use it in a can and thin it with lacquer thinner...50-50. (half lacquer and and half thinner). I apply several coats with a soft cloth.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

lwalper

I've never use it, but from what I've heard it's good stuff -- but as has been said, and is probably true of all lacquers, needs time to cure before any rough handling (buffing). I'm currently using both the rattle can (Krylon) and / or 50/50 Deft with good results.

Last edited:

NittanyLion

I've gone thru about a dozen cans so far....our local Lowes switched brands about a month ago to this....though it is no different than the old brand. I love it for my burl pieces/desk sets(see pic). I use 6-10 coats. It covers all the holes and divots well. It dries fast(vs dipping), and there is a strong odor. I'm not so sure I would ever use it on pens in place of CA....just too small a piece to get a perfect finish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 262
Drys fast but needs to cure for a week or so before using a buffer. Lowes stopped selling Deft lacquer and started carrying the WATCO brand. When I use lacquer I use it in a can and thin it with lacquer thinner...50-50. (half lacquer and and half thinner). I apply several coats with a soft cloth.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Is this the same for other spray lacquers too?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I used it often for "high end wood" pens. Many thin coats will dry---spray on too much and you will wait forever for it to dry.

BTW, it may be "new" to Lowes, but it has been around for 20 years or more.

Last edited:

monophoto

I make a friction polish using the brush-on version of this lacquer - equal volumes of lacquer, lacquer thinner, and a drying oil (either BLO or pure Tung oil). Dries to the touch within seconds, but may require a bit longer to cure enough for buffing.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I used it often for "high end wood" pens. Many thin coats will dry---spray on too much and you will wait forever for it to dry.

BTW, it may be "new" to Lowes, but it has been around for 20 years or more.

Ed,

How many coats do you use? Do you sand between coats?

MANY coats that are thin. Applied with the lathe turning slowly. I would quit when I had a nice shine, then let it cure for a couple days and sand with 600 or so, up to 2000 or so (before MicroMesh was around). Today, I would sand with 600, then buff. I'd still wait for it to fully cure though--couple days after the final coat was applied.

butchf18a

Rather expensive with over-spray accounting for at least 80% of your finish. Still if its your thing go for it. Noticed however, those who say the use this material have yet to post a picture of a pen completed with this material.

Jmoicbw-bidi

BarryE

...BTW, it may be "new" to Lowes, but it has been around for 20 years or more.

I think Ed may be in denial about time spans, I often am. :) I have seen them around and used them at least 40 yrs, probably more

if I do use rattle can lacquer...I do prefer pre-cat lacquer like Behlen and some other companies make

Top Bottom