I'm Getting There

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tn-Steve

Hey Gang,

I think I'm finally getting the hang of a CA finish. One of my problems was that I was too GENTLE with my sanding, and not getting the good crisp reflections that I wanted.

While I was doing an Acrylic pen, it struck me, CA is ACRYLIC, and I need to make sure that I get it smooth the same way. I'm using the first 2 grits of MM DRY so that I get a flat surface all across, no shiny spots (which I have figured out are actually depressions in the CA)

Then I WET SAND thru all the grades, using a moderate amount of pressure. (Before I just barely laid the MM on the pen, I think with the water lube I probably was not even making contact).

THis pen was done with 8 coats thin CA, applied the "CA THE NEW WAY" technique, wiping off extra accelerator between coats. Very thin coats were applied. Sanded as described above, Finish with Mothers Mag and Chrome Polish, Buff with Tripoli and White Diamond, polish with Hutts Plastic Polish.

All told, I don't think that it took much more than 10 - 15 minutes to do the finish, and it's the best one I've had yet. Some minor flaws, but that may be because I didn't use any sanding sealer first.

Comments, as always, are appreciated. The pics are just a quick and dirty, haven't had a finish that deserved a light box yet... guess I'm getting there.

Steve

Attachments

• Finish1.jpg
    Finish1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Finish2.jpg
    Finish2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Finish4.jpg
    Finish4.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 144
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AceMrFixIt

CA finish

Steve,
I just started putting on the first few coats of ca with a finger at slow speed, no accelerator. I wet sand from the start to avoid melting the MM. Using a skew to level out the surface if I get a glue glob works well and cuts down on the sanding. Great looking finish you have, nice wood too.

Attachments

• PIC_0063.jpg
    PIC_0063.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 112

Tn-Steve

I think there are more answers to "how do you apply CA" than there are to "where were you born"...seems like everyone and their dog has their own method that works for them...

Glad you found the one that works for you!!

Andrew
That's an absolute. The goal is the same for everyone, get a good layer on the wood, get it smoother than silk, get it polished. I'm sure that my techniques will change over time as I try things out, but I'm happy that I've got something that works now, and I'm starting to understand the "HOW" it works, and not just going thru motions without understanding "WHY" I'm doing things.

Steve
Who won't even raise an issue about the Designated Hitter Rule

Top Bottom