IM done with CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Caden_Hrabak

:mad::mad::mad:Every single time i attempt a ca finish it comes out either spotty or i have to restart because of the paper towel getting stuck or some weird substance appearing on the blank. For the past 2 hours ive been back and forth from the lathe and ive wasted a sheet of 320 400 and 600 grit sandpaper trying to fix this pen! And now when i try to apply my good old shellaxwax i have some glue residue buildup on one of the blanks that wasnt there before.

Here is my method tell me if anythings wrong

1.Ren wax on the bushings
2.Thin CA applied by putting 3-6 drops on 1 inch paper towel and rub for about 5 seconds to avoid sticking. (at 700-1200 rpm)
3. repeat 6 times
4 Thick CA same method
5. Repeat 6 times
6. IF there is nothing wrong with the finish i start with my 3rd MM step and move progressively up to 12000 (my mm sits in a tupperware container full of water and i drench a paper towel when i start sanding)
7.IF i have made it to this step and thats a big if, i apply Hut plastic polish vigorously on my highest setting 3200 rpm until i am pleased with the result then apply very little ren wax to finish it off

I have read many many different ways to do a CA finish is there anything that i am doing wrong that would cause this much Headache? Ive finished 1 pen with a CA finish on my own. With my friend Displaced Canadians help ive done maybe 5....:confused::confused:

Seer

I think putting the thin ca on the paper towel is one issue as it will dry super fast. I use only med ca and run the lathe at my slowest speed drizzling the CA on the top of the balnk and running the folded strip of paper towel underneath on the bottom of the blank to smooth it out and then hit it with a spray of accelerant. I do this several times and then wet sand any ridges and apply several more coats after that and look for more ridges and wet sand through all but the first 2 micro mesh pads I have. Try it you may like it that I think thin ca is to runny for me but that is my opinion others like it. Good Luck

Mapster

Holding the paper towel on too long. 5 seconds is plenty of time for the glue to dry and catch your paper. You only want it to touch the amount of time you need to go back and forth once, coating the blank. You can use more than a 1 inch strip also. I fold a whole square in half three times and use that. Easier to hold on to. Some won't agree with this, imho only use thin CA. I used to use thick and it left a ridgy, unevenly coated surface. With thin, it coats it completely with less effort. I know it is time consuming (about 30 min), but put on about a good 12+ coats of thin depending on the depth of finish you want, and let it dry completely before going on to the next coat.

It takes some practice and getting used to, but worth it in the end. Hope this helps you out and relieves those headaches.

Mapster

No offense intended Seer, but I have tried that method with all types of CA glue with no luck. Never got a good finish. I know we all have our own methods though. Just trying to help caden get a good easy finish.

Mark

Some people swear by thin CA as a first and/or second coat. I only use the med. and have not had any issues since I ironed out my humidity problem (resulting in a cloudy finish) several months back.

Before throwing in the towel, try several methods. You will find there are as many methods as there are members. Each person develops a system that works best for them. Good Luck.

splinter99

Hello
My advice would be less time with the paper towel. That would solve your sticking problem. Secondly..with that many coats of ca I would think you should start sanding with the 1500 mm. Most importantly..dont wory about it looking perfectly smooth and shiney after each coat..It will when you sand it. I use 8 or 10 coats of thin with a spritz of acclelrator between each coat. I let it cure for an hour or so then start the sanding with the 1500. Make sure all ridges are sanded out and the blank has a uniform dullness to it before you move on to the next finer grit.
Dont give up..I struggled with ca for 2 years before I "got it" and now have 100 percent sucess rate.

Hope this helps you

Caden_Hrabak

Some people swear by thin CA as a first and/or second coat. I only use the med. and have not had any issues since I ironed out my humidity problem (resulting in a cloudy finish) several months back.

Humidity problem??

Im in washington so its generally very humid

Ill try again on my next pen i think i just need to practice on a piece of random wood

ESwindell

Caden,
Not sure what to tell you as to what is going wrong but.... here is what "I" do.
As I stated in another post I use BLO/CA. I sand my turned pen to 400 and then take a full sheet of paper towel. I fold the towel until it is around 2x3 maybe a little smaller. I put a few (up to 4) drops of BLO on the towel. ( I store it in a condiment thing that I got at the dollar store) I wipe on one side of pen then repeat if the pen has two pieces, ie non-sierra This can be done with the lathe off or running. Once the BLO is on I turn the lathe on (if off) and squeeze the paper towel to cause heat and rub back and forth. Then I take the same towel and drip med-CA 4-5 onto the spot that I put the BLO gently brush the towel across the project to distribute the CA and then quickly pinch the blank and move the towel rapidly back and forth maybe 10 times. Then just repeat 3 more times with the lathe running and then I'm done. The thickness of the towel keep the heat down on your fingers and helps you from sticking to the towel. DAMHIK
I hope that I explained it clearly and if you attempt it that it works for you. If you have questions pm me or put in thread and I will try to answer then.
God Bless,
Eric

glycerine

Someone here on the IAP suggested using the little plastic baggies that the pen parts come in to apply CA with instead of paper towels. I started doing that a while back and haven't looked back!

aggromere

there are as many successful CA methods as there are penturners that use them I think. My only suggestion is to use BLO and use thin ca and put the first few coats on very thin. At least that's what I do. It would be ashame to give up on it. I think CA is probably the most used finish on pens. Just my 2 cents worth.

Caden_Hrabak

I still believe it is an evil substance created by the devil himself to tease me with the hopes of a great finish but has more troubles than high school...

fernhills

Throw away the paper towels. I use that thin foam packing that the electronics come packed in. I use the same swatch through out the whole process, then use it again the next day. Carl

bbuis

When I do a CA finish I do it like this

Rub the paper towel along the blank while applying the CA to the Spinning blank .. I start with thin about 4-6 drops along it moving the paper towel the whole time .. as soon as the paper towel starts to catch I pull off. Let that dry and add another layer in the same manner with a different spot of the paper towel. I then will move on to my thick CA. I put about 3 layers of this on in the same manner. I usually have to build up about .005 so this is a good combination and rarely do I have to sand much off. Make sure you have plenty of mesh around for finishing it up.

Rfturner

DON'T GIVE UP. I have been at the same point that you are at I almost gave up on it and I am glad that I didn't. To be perfectly honest though I tweaked my CA finish over about a two month period, I found what works and what doesn't for me. I found that the Blue shop towels seem to work better for me. I put a little BLO on the paper towel and it helps the CA not stick to the towel. I only use thin CA and BLO. Start Simple and add or take away according to your specific use. Try a little less CA I only use 2-3 drops at a time and rub it back and forth for about 10 seconds a layer. feel free to PM me

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
This link is to a description and some video clips of how I do it.

http://www.woodturner-russ.com/PenPages-FinishingPens-CAglue.html

I have used CA glue the same way in several climates including North FL in the summer when both temperature and humidity were close to 100, and both Western WA and North Idaho in all seasons.

The biggest problem in all climates has been the wood not being totally dry and at equilibrium with the atmosphere surrounding it. The same thing can happen if the wood moisture is reduced by the heat of turning and sanding until it is too dry and below its equilibruim with the environment. If either is a problem, it is best to wait at least overnight to allow the wood to become stable with the atmosphere before finishing it.

Contrary to the popular belief, I have always found that there is a difference in brands of CA glue with different wood species and climates. I use Hot Stuff because I have always had better luck with it in all climates and temperatures, and on all species of wood. Others will say the same thing about the brand of glue that they use.

Last edited:

phillywood

Caden confused yet? You asked the Qs. and here are the answers to how many ways there are to skin the cat. You are cloce to your won answer just adpot a way and stick with it. I watched a video on CA, which said do not use the paper towel because it is activator. that's why you are getting the stickyness.

robutacion

Well, like many said, there are many ways to skin a cat, I'm getting "super consistent" results with the method this guy www.cafinish.com has, you buy the DVD as I did and watch, follow and voila...! end of the CA nightmare...!:wink:

Note: No affiliation or monetary gains of any kind, with the DVD author...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

ldb2000

The only CA finish that works .
The chant is "Ohwa Tagoo Siam" must be said quickly , repeatedly and you HAVE to be wearing the yellow socks , green , blue or red won't work . Don't forget if it's Monday , Wednesday and Friday to stand on your left foot and Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday stand on your right foot . CA finishes don't work on Sunday so don't even try . Also remember to use the Bounty paper towels with the counter clockwise swirl pattern , the clockwise pattern will just stick to the blank ...unless your south of the equator . And most importantly , you have to fold the paper towel 8 times length way and 6 times left to right and hold it between your index/ring fingers and your thumb of your right hand while rubbing your belly with your left hand , after applying 6 drops of BLO to the cat . :hypnotized::hypnotized::hypnotized:

Last edited:

Laurenr

It should be clear by this time that, given the many different techniques, you will find one that works for you. I have tried several that work, and many that did not. I have now settled on one that works well for me.

I used to lecture about the country on dental technology, and was continually asked about various products and techniques. My response was always prefaced with the phrase, "In my hands." I would never denigrate another operator's ideas or technique but just pointed out what worked for me.

Keep trying, it is an excellent surface and worth putting some time into. I use a BLO/CA combination with some of my own twists, and would glad to share it with you. I swear, the only problem I have is trying to put a finish on wood that has not completely dried, either from internal moisture or the alcohol I clean it with, (at least I think that is what causes my occasional foggy spots).

Hang in there and don't listen to anyone who has all the answers, ...usually that person is crazy. (Dave Berry):biggrin:

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
One thing I didn't see mentioned in your technique is if you do a final wet sand.

I am not sure if you are trying to have CA as your final step.

My personal technique involves applying a lot more CA and doing a wet sand with micro mesh to finish it off (sometimes a plastic polish on the end of it too... Mostly on really dark stuff).

If you insist on using so little CA, try using something that doesn't absorb it like the paper towels do. Try packing material as suggested earlier or the little plastic component bags like I do.

What every you do, don't give up. You just haven't found the magic technique that works for you. You'll get it.

Aerotech

Sorry but i'm horrible with names. i watched a guy on youtube put CA on with a paper towel and then spray it several times. then i watched another guy put CA on a paper towel with a drop of BLO on it and then put that on the pen. i failed miserably at both techniques so i combined them. i clean my blank, put a drop of BLO on my paper towel and then put this CA directly onto the pen blank and rub vigorsly. after fully cured, "fingers on fire", i wipe with a clean paper towel and repeat 7 or 8 times. then MM. i've had nothing but success since. i would say do exactly what you are doing but put a drop of BLO on the towel and rub till its fully cured.

Caden_Hrabak

I just know this is gonna stur up a fuss but. What kind of paper towel because i went over to chrises and we practiced CA finished i brought over all my stuff and the paper towel seemed to be what was killing my finish. I use paper towels you normally find in grocery stores to clean your hands with in the bathrooms. (I had a friend who had a bunch) Now i will steal my moms ultra pli stuff and hopefully that will work

Aerotech

regular bounty. nothing special about the ones i use. the way i see it you got two choices with your technique. either find something to put on the towel to stop if from sticking, i.e. BLO, or dont hold it to the pen as long. when i did that i got ridges though, but those can be sanded out. whats the lesser of two evils i suppose.

ESwindell

Caden,
If you are useing the brown paper towels, IMHO, I think that you may have just discovered your problem. I use WEOS white, no print on them, paper towels.
WEOS= what ever's on sale
God Bless,
Eric

PenMan1

I finish only with medium CA in the summer. The humidity gets up near 100% and the temperature is nearly 100 degrees daily. While the temperature DOES affect CA glue, the humidity is much worse for the finish.

In the winter months when the humidity is around 45 percent, thin CA works wonderfully, But during the summer months it is impossible to use here (lake environment).

How high is the humidity in your area? If it gets above 65%, you may just want to try your current method using medium CA.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Contrary to the popular belief, I have always found that there is a difference in brands of CA glue with different wood species and climates. I use Hot Stuff because I have always had better luck with it in all climates and temperatures, and on all species of wood. Others will say the same thing about the brand of glue that they use.

Russ is right. There is a difference in CA from brand to brand, just as there is a difference in paint from brand to brand. It has to do with the other ingredients used in the manufacture of CA. Again, like Russ, I have had excellent results with Satellite Cities glues (Hot Stuff, Super T, Special T) and Monty's EZ glue. Many other brands cause me many headaches.

NOT TO OPEN A CAN OF WORMS HERE, but I buy the 16 or 32 OZ bottles of CA from Monty, along with many empty 2 oz bottles. As soon as my CA arrives, I divide the large container into COMPLETELY FILLED /SEALED 2 oz containers and refrigerate all of those EXCEPT the one I am about to use. When I get down to 1/8th of a bottle, I remove another 2 OZ bottle from the refrigerator and let it slowly (a day or so) come to room temperature. This may have nothing to do with it, but since I started this regiment, I have had NO finish issues.

Last edited:

dbarbee

I agree with BillMan on this. I think your using to little ca and you may not be allowing each coat to dry completely.

Disclaimer...I'm a complete noob when it comes to a ca finish.

While I was experimenting with this finish I found the best method for me was to apply a line of thin ca across the blank while chasing it with the paper towel. When I tried to use less, I had it grab the paper towel from me. I was able to then sand it down to remove the paper towel lint and then continue again. I kept the paper towel on the blank a minimal amount of time, probably 2 seconds per blank. While it doesn't sound like much that was plenty of time for me to get the blank coated with ca and get a quick smoothing pass. Another issue I had problems with was not allowing the ca to dry before applying the next coat. I tried both leaving the blank spinning on the blank for a minute or two and using accelerator and both worked equally well for me. I tend to get in a hurry and it normally costs me.

David

snyiper

Well you have recieved good advice and just to add to the mix. I use Montys glue thin, blue paper towles or wax paper strips. BLO sometimes accelerant sometimes depends on mood. I drizzle on ca and rub folded towel back and forth real fast for about 2 seconds wait long enough to tear that piece off the towel and repeat 8-10 coats. I hit it wit Mothers mag wheel polish and then never dull. My way not the only way.

Steve Busey

Caden,
I use WEOS white, no print on them, paper towels.
WEOS= what ever's on sale

YMMV :wink:

I haven't had a lot of luck with "WEOS". I've got two rolls of WEOS in the shop that I can only use for cleanup, not CA application. Bounty has been consistent as a CA applicator, so I'll stick with that. Maybe Eric has different sales in his neck of the woods. :rolleyes:

PenMan1

WEOS doesn't work for me either. I have used Bounty, blue shop towels, the little bags the pen parts come in, styrofoam(?) packing sheets all successfully. I usually go back to Bounty, I think more out of preference than anything else.

Top Bottom