I need finish opinion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

I havent turned a bowl in some time. I was out on my farm last week looking for large burls on 440 acres of trees. I found several and cut them for use. I found one very small burl that looks like a breast about the 32A size. I removed because it looked interesting.

Started out as a natural edge, very difficult to mount because of the way I cut it. Natural bark edge and body. I t5urned and carved out the center and blew the side out of it twice, replaced the wood lost with bark from another burl and repaired all natural defects with Turquoise. Can you find where I glued a piece of wood and bark about 1 3/4" long and 1" wide then covered all of the wood and exterior Turquoise with bark?

I don't have the foggiest notion of what type of finish to put on this bowl? I would like to darken the inside. What should I do to the bark? Any comments would be appreciated.
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/okiebugg/4WhiteOakBurl.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/okiebugg/3WhiteoakBurl.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/okiebugg/2WhiteOakBurl.jpg

1WhiteOakBurl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bubbamorse

Bowl finishing....

I started all of my turning doing solely bowls, and have just recently gotten into Pens. Finally a topic I know a little something about...I've felt like a kindergartener reading posts here.

I've used three different finishes for similar Object D'Art. For the inside, since it has the turquoise inlayed, you should use a walnut oil or tung oil (test them both on the base of the bowl that not be seen or will be removed - to see which you prefer). You can then use a paraffin-type of wax over the oil if you wish, but it's not required to protect the grain.

For the outside of the Bowl, you can either leave it as is (i.e. Au naturale) or use a clear spray laquer. The concern on which to use depends on when the wood cut from the tree. If it was removed from the tree while it was still cold outside, the bark will remain on the bowl w/o any problems. If it was cut in warm months, then the bark will eventually separate from the wood. This isn't a problem per se, just something to be aware of and plan for...

Hope this helps a little!! If you want to talk it through a little more, I'm happy to...and can be reached at 847.778.7499.

Cheers!
Michael "Bubba" Morse

Justturnin

Noooo, Dont post your number here or anywhere online. Risky business.

To darken the bowl you can use BLO. It will darken slightly at first but continue to darken w/ age.

bubbamorse

To darken the bowl you can use BLO. It will darken slightly at first but continue to darken w/ age.

BLO will not darken any Oak Burl, rather it will enable it to darken naturally. Whereas Walnut or TUng oil will darken it (to differing degrees) just by itself and then nature takes over and it continues to darken.

BTW, I could care less is someone has my cell phone number, it doesn't mean that I'll always answer it .

okiebugg

AMEN on the cell phone #

BLO will not darken any Oak Burl, rather it will enable it to darken naturally. Whereas Walnut or TUng oil will darken it (to differing degrees) just by itself and then nature takes over and it continues to darken.

BTW, I could care less is someone has my cell phone number, it doesn't mean that I'll always answer it .

AMEN on the cell phone #

leehljp

Member Liaison

That is OK.

We just are not allowed to publish anyone else's number or email on this forum, other than our own. Recently, one fellow DID list his email address here, and it wasn't long before he was having some serious problems. Listing of one's email and phone number can leave it open to ID theft and other problems. There are "minors" and bots or what ever that sifts through sites like this just for such information in open posts.

It is not recommended the posting of email addys and phone numbers and that is what PM's are for. But we can post our own at our own risk. I applaud you for taking full reponsibility. Most people will not and blame the forum, which is why it is not recommended to post such.

Last edited:

okiebugg

Tung

I ended up doing it with a very small amount od fruitwood stain mixed with Tung Oil. Darkened it a small amount 9what I was looking for, and wiped and a few more coats of Tung Oil followed by steel wool to flatten the gloss.

For the bark, I left it natural except for using a CA injector for bark that looked loose. You cant see the CA and

Pics to follow of the tree with about 50 small burl projections (rare) and the bowl

okiebugg

thanks for the reply

That is OK.

We just are not allowed to publish anyone else's number or email on this forum, other than our own. Recently, one fellow DID list his email address here, and it wasn't long before he was having some serious problems. Listing of one's email and phone number can leave it open to ID theft and other problems. There are "minors" and bots or what ever that sifts through sites like this just for such information in open posts.

It is not recommended the posting of email addys and phone numbers and that is what PM's are for. But we can post our own at our own risk. I applaud you for taking full reponsibility. Most people will not and blame the forum, which is why it is not recommended to post such.

You in the long run probably saved me some grief

Top Bottom