HUT Ultra gloss without MM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Souths1der

I've read a lot of information lately about HUT Ultra Gloss and decided to buy a bottle to check it out. I've made a few pens and used it instead of Meguiars PlastX as my final step. I like it. Gives the same finish as Meguiars without the caking on the bottle or edge of blank. Not that those things are a problem, just something I've noticed.

I did a test over the weekend. I made two identical pens with the same blank.

First pen I did my usual CA finish procedure. Sanded blank to 500 abranet. Eight coats of CA. Sanded MM through 12,000. Final buff with Megiuars PlastX.

Second pen I did my usual CA finish. Sanded blank to 500 abranet. Final buff with HUT Ultra Gloss.

I can't tell the difference in the finish.

I will probably be changing things up and skipping the MM from now on when using a CA finish. There have been times when the MM stage sanded through the CA and I had to go back and apply more CA coats. This should eliminate that possibility while also conserving some time.

TonyL

I have to try the steel wool approach. I own practically all of the polishes, and can't get off the MM. I can stop at the teal colored one, but if I don't I can see light radial scratches under 10 magnification. Does extra fine correspond to a number of 00000s?

Thank you!

Top Bottom