Hut residue in engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul W

Does anyone have a trick to remove and also to prevent residue from Hut Polish in engraving. It can be a real pain to remove the white residue from small letters. I am going blind having to resort to dental tools or tooth picks now for cleanup and neither completely get the job done. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dutra

ohh I hate Hut for that reason, still my main finish on pens ( havent mastered CA yet

But I always manage to get some stuck in the grain of some of my oak pens, then it turns white and i dig at it with a small pick....

Paul W

I would think that laser engraving into CA would have a melting/burning effect on the finish. Can you successfully engrave a CA finish?

1080Wayne

I would think that laser engraving into CA would have a melting/burning effect on the finish. Can you successfully engrave a CA finish?

Yes , always best to at least partial CA finish before laser engraving . If you then want to colour fill the engraving , do it , then CA over the top for a smooth barrel where the engraving cant collect dirt . Some don`t feel the last step is necessary .

Rangertrek

I have had over 100 pens laser engraved and ALL were completely finished with CA and polished prior to the engraving. The CA is instantly burned off as the laser cuts to the wood. I have had no problems with any of them.

I have had some of them 'color filled' after the engraving, usually with the gold color to have the engraving stand out.

Carl Fisher

Finish it first. There is no problem engraving with a CA finish as we've done several in the past and currently have 25 going through this process.

Completely finish them all the way through polishing/buffing before handing them over to the engraver. Then when they come back, fill if you want...or leave it natural and that's it. Put a coat of ren-wax over the entire finished pen and you're set.

ghostrider

I'd think that a buffer would take it out. At least it has for me in the past.

Now may be a good time to make that jump to a buffing system of some sort. I didn't buy the Beal or the other system. I just found applicable buffs on a small scale with arbors on them (had to buy and arbor for one.), and mounted them in the drill press.

Ed at Exoticblanks.com did an excellent video on the technique.

Top Bottom