How to stop color bleed on segmented bowl?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Hello,

I am planning on doing a segmented bowl with maple and purple heart. I know I will experience color bleed if I sand. Normally I would use CA glue on a pen before sanding to stop the bleed, but it doesn't seem like I want to CA a large bowl.

I assume sanding sealer would work. I see that suggested often after searching, but are there other techniques or products that may work better?

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

I've read that too. Problem is this is a bowl, which I have a hard time with anyways and I don't know how to use a skew on the inside of a bowl. I need to practice with a skew cause I'm not good with them at all!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm no expert, but you DO NOT use a skew on the inside of a bowl. Bowl gouge, radial scraper, easy wood carbide R2, etc...

But, to your question; maybe after a first rough sanding grit use sanding sealer to assist with color bleed?

I bet other forum members will offer advise, or U-Tube.

stuckinohio

I've been watching youtube for sanding sealer videos but didn't have much luck finding ones for segmented bowls. I've never used sanding sealer, but most of those videos show the sealer to use sorta as a prep for the top coat, but I figure that's what I should try.

jttheclockman

Hello,

I am planning on doing a segmented bowl with maple and purple heart. I know I will experience color bleed if I sand. Normally I would use CA glue on a pen before sanding to stop the bleed, but it doesn't seem like I want to CA a large bowl.

I assume sanding sealer would work. I see that suggested often after searching, but are there other techniques or products that may work better?

Thanks in advance!

I am no expert but being it is a bowl sometimes depending on the spiecies of wood there is no need for any protection from bleeding. Blow the dust off and you are good to go. But make sure you do this with each grit.

Now if using woods that tend to bleed then a sanding sealer should be applied before each grit of sand paper used. To help eliminate the many grits it may be beneficial to use a sharp scaper to finalize the shapes and smooth the surface. This can take you right to 220 grit or even 400 grit paper. Yes do not use a skew on the inside of a bowl. Maybe if the walls are flat but why risk it.

Good luck.

stuckinohio

Thank you. I am using maple and I have had problems with bleed from african blackwood, So I'll pick up some sealer. I didn't realize that needed to be done between each grit, so thank you!

I always try to get as smooth as possible and do a good job on the outside. I struggle with the inside, at the bottom. Need more practice!

Hello,

Thanks in advance!

I am no expert but being it is a bowl sometimes depending on the spiecies of wood there is no need for any protection from bleeding. Blow the dust off and you are good to go. But make sure you do this with each grit.

Now if using woods that tend to bleed then a sanding sealer should be applied before each grit of sand paper used. To help eliminate the many grits it may be beneficial to use a sharp scaper to finalize the shapes and smooth the surface. This can take you right to 220 grit or even 400 grit paper. Yes do not use a skew on the inside of a bowl. Maybe if the walls are flat but why risk it.

Good luck.

Top Bottom