how I CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

Hello,
Just thought I would share my CA finish. I sand to 2000 grit then apply blo. I then put a drop of blo on a paper towl, drissle thin CA over the blank and smooth it out using the blo rag. I apply 20(min) to 50 coats(only did that once to cover some deep scratches). Then I lightly wet sand with 320 or 800, both with the lathe on and off. I then hit it with 2000 and MM from 3600 to 12k. After that I use autosol polish to up the shine. Final step, I apply a little shoe polish, I use Kiwi brand neutral polish, any clear/neutral polish should be fine. I rub it just enough to create some heat that seems to melt the wax a little. At 10x magnification, I rarely see any scratches. The wax really helped me.
I hope this gives you a starting point to develop a technigue that works for you.
Thanks for reading,
Nick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

Ill have ipctures up soon but my sister Has my camera right now. I find its faster to do 20 thin than even just 10 thick or medium, and it really gives you a nice deep finish.

toyotaman

WOW, 50 coats. Isn't that a little overkill? I add about 10 or maybe 12 (not really counting) but never that many. That sounds like a waste of glue unless you can "Really" see the difference. Do an expierment, use the same wood for 2 pens and put on say 15 coats on one and say 30 or so on the other and finish as usual. Can you see the difference? I don't use any BLO anymore, all mine are straight CA.

biednick

WOW, 50 coats. Isn't that a little overkill? I add about 10 or maybe 12 (not really counting) but never that many. That sounds like a waste of glue unless you can "Really" see the difference. Do an expierment, use the same wood for 2 pens and put on say 15 coats on one and say 30 or so on the other and finish as usual. Can you see the difference? I don't use any BLO anymore, all mine are straight CA.

The only time I did that was on 1 pen I just couldnt get smoooth, usualy I do 20 or 25 coats, it seems to give a deeper finish than 10 or 12 but usualy more than that dosnt help much.

Top Bottom