How come the CA in the bottle doesn't dry up?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

I was curious why CA drys instantly on a paper towel,but is never even sknis-over in the bottle,with an open tube?

Just wanting to understand why that is........

Thanks for any insights!

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

Always wondered the same, figured it was the oxygen levels or something like that. Have you noticed the amount of smoke it puts out when on the towel? Wow!

1080Wayne

It will polymerize in the bottle over time as it pulls moisture out of the air . It may take a year or two to go from thin to thick , depending on humidity . The rapid set-up on a paper towel or a very punky piece of wood is probably a function of the large surface area .

GrantH

via Yahoo Answer

"Glue cures{hardens}when it is in the open air, because one of the ingredients evaporates. Evaporation occurs at a much slower rate when it is in a closed container."

Seems as though I was partially right. The evaporation rate is slowed way way down as exposure to the certain gas or whatever is cut down. I'm (completely) guessing that it's not one of the heavier gasses in the air, so it doesn't actually enter the bottle much at all.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Grant, there is no evaporation of ingredients.
CA rapidly polymerises in the presence of water forming long, strong chains, joining the bonded surfaces together. Because the presence of moisture causes the glue to set, exposure to moisture in the air can cause a tube or bottle of glue to become unusable over time.Also, if some dust or some other contamination is introduced into the bottle, the polymerization may start.

GrantH

Hm, thats odd...but I trust you! haha. Water seems like a strange trigger for glue to cure but you are the CA man so you would know I'm sure. Thanks for the correction.

Mark

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Water can be used as an accelerant, with CA glue. Although, when I did try it, the glue ended up a bit cloudy looking.

GoatRider

It seems to me that nucleation sites also case CA to cure. A paper towel has lots of nooks and crannies for the crystallization to start. Try putting a few drops of thin CA on a pile of fine sawdust- it will cure almost instantly, generating enough heat to make a puff of smoke.
The inside of a CA bottle is smooth polyethylene, giving the CA no place to start crystalizing.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Quite by accident I discovered that CA glue will cure very rapidly in the absence of oxygen. The process involved placing a drop of thin CA on my index finger then pressing my thumb against it with firm pressure very briefly.
WB

Top Bottom