Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Shellac mixed from flakes will last a maximum of 6 months.

Zinsser has a premixed shellac that has a shelf life of 3 years.

http://tinyurl.com/b87rt

Ron, we are discussing how long the finish will last without wearing off, not the life of the shellac

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Shellac mixed from flakes will last a maximum of 6 months.

Zinsser has a premixed shellac that has a shelf life of 3 years.

http://tinyurl.com/b87rt

Ron, we are discussing how long the finish will last without wearing off, not the life of the shellac

[B)] Sorry about that, I guess I should read more closely.

There are 300 year old violins with shellac finishes that are still in use and the shellac has held up.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by melogic
<br />I was wondering the same thing that Tom is saying, "How long will it last?" I would have thought shellac would last a long time, but I don't know a lot about the durability of the finishes.
In the responses to your question, Mark, there is about 3% valid data and 97% supposition. A properly applied finish consisting of boiled linseed oil (BLO), shellac flakes or buttons and denatured alcohol is a very durable finish, once it has cured. The trick is the curing time. If you are using the home-made shellac as your only finish, the items should ideally not be handled for a week...maybe two. The upside is that the shellac will continue to cure for many months, possibly years, adding to it's durability over time.

Many woodworkers complain about the lack of durability of a friction finish, but the facts do not support their conclusions. Most, if not all, of the commercially manufactured shellac-based friction finishes are highly contaminated mixtures which include water, waxes and other oils which are used to extend the shelf life of the shellac (usually 6-12 months when mixed with denatured alcohol only). These contaminants compromise both the structural integrity of the friction polish and its durability. These additives also allow the manufacturers to emulsify to mixture to some degree. Without these contaminants, shellac forms a water resistant finish that is also largely impervious to alcohol and body acids.

The addition of BLO to the shellac/alcohol mixture adds yet another degree of hardness. BLO is raw linseed oil which has had heavy metals added to speed up the drying time and to add to durability of the dried finish. BLO, while not truly boiled, is often polymerized by heating the raw linseed oil to approximately 300-degrees fahrenheit (in the absence of oxygen, it will not boil at that temperature) where the small molecules combine to yield larger molecules of the original, only lined up to form a tight bond. It is this polymerization that adds hardness and durability.

All of this is not to say that shellac-based friction polish is better or worse than the plastics (CA, many lacquers, polyurethane). Heck, you can preserve just about anything in a shiny display by encapsulating it in a thick coat of plastic and polishing it. I've seen rattlesnake heads, tarantulas and even human body parts preserved this way.

The real choice comes down to how you want your work displayed and what efforts you are willing to take to get that result.

JimGo

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />The real choice comes down to how you want your work displayed and what efforts you are willing to take to get that result.
<br /> ...and how long you're willing to wait.

Thumbs

As I said I've used several different shellac based friction polishes and there is a decided difference in their durability and appearance in a relatively short period of time. The Mylands seems to be the best. And it appears very different from the other brands after it settles out. That's why I asked how the home made solution looked after it had settled out. It doesn't take very long to settle. I don't know about the long term durability of any finish because I've only been making pens for a short time. But cure time does have an effect on the friction polishes most definitely. The big problem is keeping your hands off your pretty pen after you've finished it! It says "finished", right? [}:)]

Thumbs

Actually, I'm waiting and willing to try the Enduro, too. I'm just not sure I can be that patient! (Sigh!)[:(][;)]

<b>Edit Note:</b>
<b>Hint!</b> This a <b>BroadBand Hint</b> to somebody! <b>Hint! Hint!</b>

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gee Bob, I'm glad you aren't given to hinting for things! Tell you what, let's cut up my Red, White, and Blue corian on your Grizzly bandsaw and I will remember to bring the samples of Enduro I promised. Yes, I will bring my offering for the Wood Sanctuary also. Call or send me a PM and we'll find a time.

Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />Actually, I'm waiting and willing to try the Enduro, too. I'm just not sure I can be that patient! (Sigh!)[:(][;)]

<b>Edit Note:</b>
<b>Hint!</b> This a <b>BroadBand Hint</b> to somebody! <b>Hint! Hint!</b>

Thumbs

I hate to say how disappointed I am but when you hit some people with a broadside from a broadband hint and they still don't get the hit![V] "They" must have an extra layer of superdurable armour all over their hulls! (Get the naval parlance?) [}:)]

<b>And he fires another point blank broadside! Comes about and fires another! Ahoy there!</b> Must really be blank broadsides. That would explain all the missing wood![:(] Oy vey! I mean Ahoy![}:)]

Jerry Crice

Greg, I made up a batch of your fp and got a really good shine on Zebrawood. How long should I let it cure prior to use? I use my pens frequently and will keep you posted on how durable it is.

GregD

Jerry, I don't know. It depends a lot on humidity. I usually let mine sit for at least a week before I touch them.
I've been useing the same pen and pencil set that I turned when I first started making pens a year ago. They look as good now as the day I turned them. Others have worn off the finish within a week.
I think the thing here is to learn the word "patina". Until someone comes up with a fairly inexpensive & durable finish for pens, the finish is going to wear off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom