Has Anyone Used These Products ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

Rich, I saw the photo. It looks nice, the finish seems to be a bit softer in gloss compared to CA. How does this finish feel? Does it have a plastic y finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichB

No it doesn't feel plastic at all. I have always been a CA man but I think I will change on some pens. So far I still like the deep look of 20 coats of CA, but I am a little worried about using it all the time. I haven't tryed several coats of this on a pen yet but it will be comming. I think more coats will help. Like someone else said this is thinner than CA.

JerrySambrook

Lyle,
As to the elastic band test, I cannot really answer. However, I have two that are now just over one year old and are used every day. This can be confirmed by Eric (holmquer) as we work about fifty feet from each other (poor him). They are both in excellent shape still.

Ed,
As far as the smell goes, The Gloss Sealer has a faint odor, the Super Gloss has a slightly stronger odor. The Semi-gloss that I got has a VERY strong odor. I can smell it pretty well, even from about 25 feet away, and my sence of smell (and other sence as well) is not the best out there. So, if you cannot take lacquer-type fumes well, then it might bother you.

Jerry

razor524

Hey guys,
Any follow up, good or bad on this? I was thinking of trying it out but thought I would ask since some time has now passed since this was originally posted.

JerrySambrook

Ray,
I still would recommend it highly except:
I did waste a couple of wasted wood blanks.
It looks great initially, but then the solvent does react with the acrylic after a few minutes (overnite before I observed the first time, about 30 minutes when I went looking for the issue.
The shine starts out real nice on the acrylic, but then does dull out as the solvents "eat" into the acrylic. The wood postion of the blanks stayed great though.

So, my recomendation is great on all properly prepared wood, but not so when the acrylics are present.

The blanks did not go bad, but the shine definitely went away in the acrylic areas.

Jerry

vwnw

Finishes

Hi Tom,

I have not used those products but I have used Shallac and laquer. I do not recommend shellac! It is fast and easy but is a soft finish and does not provide a long lasting finish in my opinion. Laquer or CA will give a longer lasting finish. I don't care for any speciality finishes but rather just some good old Deft Laquer or CA with Rennasance wax for all my kit type projects. Mineral oil for my cutting boards, etc etc. Hope this helps, Vince

Bezdomni

I have recently tried Turner's Magic on some bottle stoppers and it worked great for me. I've never liked the CA process although the CA/BLO process video on YouTube intrigues me some. Still, I'd prefer to stay away from the fumes. YMMV. I have also never applied 20 coats of anything (but my hat's off to those who do) so I can't say how that might change my view. I intend to use TM when I make my next batch of pens.

My current TM finishing process goes like this:

1. Sand to 600 grit, then 12000 mm. [Note 1: I have learned to use a very light touch with MicroMesh. If you don't, you can use a little alcohol to remove the melted-on plastic and you won't have to re-sand. DAMHIKT.]

2. Two coats of sealer. [Note 2: I currently apply finishes (and that alcohol thing) with two squares of premium toilet paper, folded over twice.] Continue application for 15 seconds or so after you feel the heat, keeping your fingers moving over the piece. Watch for the application rings to go away and the shine to be consistent across the piece. You'll know.

3. Two coats of Semi-Gloss applied the same way.

4. Two coats of Gloss applied the same way.

5. Assemble, then take in to show darlin' wife.

I don't say that this is the best finish or the best way to apply it. We all get to choose. I do say that it worked pretty well for me and I'm going to stay with it, at least for now. I'm open to a better way but I'm also reminded of the maxim "Don't let the pursuit of the great get in the way of the good." This method is simple and it works well and I don't notice any noxious fumes at all but more sensitive noses might. It meets all my requirements.

All the usual disclaimers, of course.

jttheclockman

Have we found out what the base product is??? Is it a shellac, lacquer, poly or a combination????

There is no better finish for wood than lacquer for a deep shine and that includes CA. Ask Russ, he is our finish expert. Now laquer will not hold up as well as CA but it can be reapplied as well as CA. It also does not leave a plastic feel to it. Have always loved Deft lacquer but over the years the smell has gotten to me so I switched to a waterbased lacquer. But with pens I still use straight CA and to combat the fumes I do not use that annoying acclerorator stuff. That stuff is obnoxious. I use straight CA but have my dust collector on and it draws the fumes away with no problem.

AeroClassics

You guys have confirmed what I suspected and what I knew from furniture work. Lacquer makes and excellent finish, if you want to put the work into the job. For lacquer to really "shine" and give you the wet deep as a pool look it MUST be rubbed out. Ask any of the luthiers or furniture guys. In the furniture world the use 2 grades of pumice followed by Rottenstone. Properly done and the end result looks like to can swim in it! If you put on several coats of lacquer, let them cure, and the wet sand with MM all the way out you will get the same result. You can use soapy water, paraffin oil or even mineral oil for the rub out. If you are a traditionalist then use pumice and rottenstone. Just be careful that you run your lathe slowly so you don't buff away the finish. Heck, old Turtle wax No. 7 would work just as well for rubbing out.

Doug

monophoto

I just used the super gloss this morning on a walnut seam ripper. It does apply easily and dries very quickly. I put on four coats in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Yesterday, I did another walnut seam ripper using a BLO/CA finish.

In comparing the two, the friction finish is not quite as dark, and the grain of the wood is not as prominent. The implement with the friction finish 'feels' like wood, while the version with the CA feels very plasticky. Obviously, the BLO/A is very glossy, while the friction finish is more matte. Distinctly different - both nice in their own way. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I read somewhere that you can get the same results at lower cost with a DIY mixture - 1/3 lacquer, 1/3 DNA, and 1/3 BLO.

nativewooder

I use Deft Brushing Lacquer thinned 4 to 1 with Lacquer Thinner. I apply multiple thin coats with cloth pads and set aside to cure for a day to a week and then buff with White Diamond and then Renaissance Wax. If not enough depth, then I put on more coats as it only takes a couple of minutes.

It sounds like the finish will hold up but does it have the deep shine like 20 coats of thin ca. I am trying to get away from ca. I can't believe it is good for you after a time. When I could smell, it was bad

jttheclockman

It sounds like the finish will hold up but does it have the deep shine like 20 coats of thin ca. I am trying to get away from ca. I can't believe it is good for you after a time. When I could smell, it was bad

That thread was from 5 years ago. :)

Try odorless CA. A little more expensive but worth it if the fumes bother you. I would also switch to med ca after the first couple thin coats. Save money that way. You could also try Pen Turner's finish. There is a thread here somewhere about its use. Do a search for it. In fact I remember 2 such threads just recently. Should not be hard to find. Good luck.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If you like a nice finish on wood that still looks and feels like wood, the product works well. Wood Write might have gone out of business. But PSI still has it. There are both gloss and semi gloss available and full gloss is now using three steps.

Top Bottom