Has anyone tried Tru-Oil for finishing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sschering

I was wondering if anyone had tried Tru-Oil for finishing a pen?

It's a wipe on finish made for gun stocks. We used it on the kids guitar with good results and I have a bit left in the bottle.

I was thinking of using it on the pen I'll be turning later today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

This is a great question! I've used Tru-oil to refinish numerous gun stocks back in the day. I'd sand, then feather the stock with water, sand again, feather again, "sand" with 0000 steel wool and finish. Then, "sand" again with 0000 steel wool and finish again. Results were excellent. In the back of my mind I was wondering how it would work for a pen finish.

Regards,
Michael

jttheclockman

Remember safety is needed to be followed. Flammable, need good air circulation and do not discard rags in trash or stock pile.

jsolie

I read on a firearm forum years ago that normal Armor-all acts as a kind of accelerator for Tru-oil.

I was skeptical until I tried it on a couple rifle stocks a few years ago. I'd wipe down the stock with an old towel wetted with Armor-all, then apply the Tru-oil. 15 minutes or so later, it was ready to rub with steel wool and apply another coat.

I was able to put about a dozen coats on in an afternoon and the stocks turned out great. Not a chemist, so I have no idea what's going on, but it really did work. Something to keep in mind if you want to build a finish on a pen.

sschering

I'm happy to report it works well in a oil-ca finish..

It's a Ultra Cigar twist pen in oak..

Attachments

• joepen (2).jpg
    joepen (2).jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Top Bottom