Glossy SPOTS on my finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phsv

I am using Doctors Woodshop products to finish my pens and have ended up with some glossy spots two of my pens.

Here were my steps:

1. Apply walnut oil using sandpaper
2. Three coats of Pens Plus using shop towel and then remove with shop towel
3. Apply WALNUT OIL MICROCRYSTAL WAX

Has anybody experienced something similar?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I have not, and have followed the instructions as you did. I have written to the inventor on YouTube with questions and he has replied. I may just be lucky. Interestingly, I have found the wax to actually dull the finish. I may have applied it incorrectly.

southernclay

Tony, I had the same experience, he was very responsive and helpful. Impressive.

Pedro,

I don't have any experience with #3 wax.

With step #2 I'm assuming you are wanting a glossy finish but are getting both glossy and dull spots? Are you applying consistent pressure on the blank? It seems to work best for me when I apply a lot of pressure, really builds heat which some materials can be sensitive too but for most materials it works really well for me. That's my first guess as to the issue is that not enough pressure is being applied.

If I'm misreading your question let me know.

phsv

Thanks guys for your feedback. I will try today to see how it works with constant pressure. So should there be constant pressure with both applying and removing it? I would usually just put more pressure on it when I was removing it from the pen.

Carl Fisher

What type of wood?

Some wood will take finish differently across the different sections of grain. There is a reason that furniture makers will use a sanding sealer on many woods before applying shellac or other finishes and it's pretty much exactly what you're describing.

Different parts of the wood will absorb while others will let the finish sit on top more or less. This can give you both glossy and dull spots.

southernclay

Thanks guys for your feedback. I will try today to see how it works with constant pressure. So should there be constant pressure with both applying and removing it? I would usually just put more pressure on it when I was removing it from the pen.

I don't really remove it, I put a few drops on a paper towel and apply with pressure to build up some heat. Let it sit for a minute or so and reapply, typically do 3 coats as well. Everything either stays on the blank or soaks into the paper towel with application.

He has some good youtube videos out. I don't sand past 600 typically but he does and the finish looks beautiful to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCRDNi_ank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5xTwLzFKFo

phsv

Yeah same here Warren, I haven't gone past 600 either. I was applying, applying, applying and then removing at the end, thinking that the heat would be applied with the friction. I am also going to wait between applications of Pens Plus.

I think i'd have to agree with you Carl regarding some wood reacts a certain way to it. I don't recall the name at the moment but will followup with it.

Maxwell, I am only doing the sanding in step with with 600 grit paper, steps 2 and 3 are with shop towels.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Top Bottom