Ghosting Cure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

I'm new to IAP & turning and would like to know if there is any possible "exterior" fix for ghosting or any application that can be used on the exterior of a blank prior to finishing and/or sanding?
I'm aware of coloring tubes/blanks but occasionally I've turned acrylics that I thought would not be victimized by ghosting only to find out differently after most of the work was done. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

Yes, "ghosting" is a term used to refer to the brass tube showing through some acrylic blanks during final steps of sanding. Hench, the need for painting/coloring tubes and/or blanks or purchasing colored tubes prior to gluing.

kooster

Thanks again guys. I know about painting the tubes and/or the blanks prior to any gluing but occasionally, even though I know better, the ol' memory just doesn't kick in when it should. Also, I honestly didn't think the dark blue would present any ghosting problem but . . .
I just thought, in the wide world of pen turning, someone might have thought of a way to fix such a problem from the exterior and after the fact. Maybe like applying a few layers of colored CA or applying some sort of liquid acrylic or the like. Just something to ponder while I wait for my replacement blanks to arrive !!!!
Thanks again guys.

Ed McDonnell

Anything you put on the exterior of the blank to obscure the brass will also obscure your blank. Sounds like you are going to throw away the current blanks. If you really really really really want to try to save them then you have to work on the problem from the interior.

If you have the blanks turned to a straight sided cylinder that you can mount in your lathe for drilling you are ready for the next step. If you don't, turn them to straight sided cylinders.

Mount them in the lathe for drilling and drill out the brass.

Sand the drill hole and paint it.

Glue in new brass (best if painted also).

If the blanks are still oversized at this point, you are good to go.

If the blanks are undersized as a result of turning them to a straight sided cylinder, then cast the blanks in clear resin to get them back up to a useable size.

Lots of work, but if they are blank you really really really really want to save, it might work. But it might not. Getting the exterior aligned with the brass before trying to drill out the brass is critical. If you don't have a lot of material left on the blank, you could cast them in clear resin before drilling out the brass and improve you odds for success.

Ed

Last edited:

KenV

Some people do not mind seeing the brass tubes. It is of more importance with higher end customers, and more costly components.

I give away pens that do not come out as desired, and are well done and well finished.

kooster

Good point . . . never thought about using the ghosting as a positive feature of the pen. Sort of gives it a "character" of its own. Might even start a whole new trend in penturning. Sort of like in the ol' days we'd throw away jeans that were faded, torn, or raggedy. Now, they're deliberately made that way and cost ten times more.
Besides, if the pens are giveaways, who could possibly complain !!!
Nice "out of the box" concept!

cwolfs69

Some people do not mind seeing the brass tubes. It is of more importance with higher end customers, and more costly components.

I give away pens that do not come out as desired, and are well done and well finished.

i have at times, depending on the blank colors and patterns, intentionally left tubes unpainted. this gives a gold colored background to the blank and enhances the pattern. to do this, however, you must make sure that you have a very even and full coat of CA, or epoxy, whichever you use, or you will have adhesive ghosting instead of the blank.

Top Bottom