Friction Polish / CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bwg

I need some help about finishing techniques. I am relatively new to pen turning so I come here for experienced opinion.
I think that pens are finished using friction polish both look and feel much nicer than those done with CA. I do realize that CA will last much much longer than wax and polish. But here is my question: just what does a friction polished pen look like after the finish has worn off? I think back to when I was a smoker and though my favorited poison was cigarettes, I was sometimes tempted to try smoking a pipe (not for long though). Pipes always looked so cool (not good nicotine delivery systems though). They were most always burl wood and the older ones usually had a patina that was very personal to owner. In other words they looked better for not looking brand new. Can pens be like that? I don't know...I'm just asking.

Does anyone have a picture of a pen that is not finished with CA but has been well used?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Eventually they will have a patina. It is really a matter of personal taste if you like that look or not. Some of my early pens were friction polish. Personally I didn't like the look of the patina so I moved on to other finishes. I do not have a pen to post a pic of.

mrgator

This is my daily use pen I made 4 or 5 months ago. Used Doctor's Woodshop & Pens Plus. I too like the feel of it.

Erik

Attachments

• beb.jpg
    beb.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 362

StumpyThumb

This is my daily use pen I made 4 or 5 months ago. Used Doctor's Woodshop & Pens Plus. I too like the feel of it.

Erik
So far i really like the Doctors stuff. Plus I don't have to worry about gluing myself to myself while using it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

BKelley

I prefer the Pen Plus finish over a CA finish for several reasons. I don't care for a shiney, glitzy finish on wood. If I wanted my wood to look like plastic, I would have bought plastic to begain with. Holland & Holland, Purdue, and Churchill make the finest and some of the most expensive firearms in the world. These wonderful guns have a nice satin finish on the wood fit for the Crown heads of the world. Good enough for Holland & Holland, good enough for me. I have been using Pen Plus since it's inception and it has held up with no complaints from my customers. I do advise my customers to use a little good quality wax on their wooden pens from time to time. What it boils down to is, what you like and what works best for you.

Ben

If you want a more natural looking and feeling finish, check out Martin Saban-Smith's Youtube video where he does a satin finish with CA. I made one with a little variation (thin CA after each sanding) and love it. I still make mine high gloss because I give them as gifts, but I use it all the time in my shop.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWTx822QVu4

Last edited:

TonyL

There's also WTF. I don't use it. I tried it, but had to put about 20 coats on before I achieved what I was looking for (it also produces a slight amber hue). Ed of Exotic's produced some excellent videos. There's also Craft Coat, but I never used it. I have been using Solarez.

Here are some links to help you:
https://generalfinishes.com/retail-...ding-sealers/wood-turners-finish#.WLEi22xVXIU

exotic blanks wood turners finish video - Bing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhsR9XpES-8

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom