Friction Finish or CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CabinetMaker

One of the things about wooden pens that I have always loved is that they are made out of wood. I love the feel of a wooden pen in my hand. I like to be able to feel the grain of the wood and I like the patina the wood takes on over time as it is used. As such, I generally use a french polish on my pens with a protective top layer of Renascence Wax.

This is still just a hobby for me so I haven't sold any pens but I was wondering, what to other people think of wood pens. Do you like the feel of the CA/BLO type finish or the more natural feel of the wood? Do your customers have a preference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichB

I like the feel of the wood. I do both and it depends on the customer. for me WOOD is the best. It is natural. I use CA on most pens but if I have a nice wood I like to use lacpuer. I don't use friction finish it just doesn't seem to hold up for any length of time.

Last edited:

76winger

I use friction polish on the really hard woods but prefer CA on the softer woods to help prevent denting. I also use CA on the burls, which I usually reserve for the nicer rollerball and fountain pens.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Wright

I use CA on all my pens be it wood, PR, Tru-Stone, because of its durability. For me, I used to use friction polish on wood but the shine just did not last. It is like you said, some people like the feel of the grain and do not worry about the shine so much. I do believe friction polish has it's place though. Lot of people still use it.

azamiryou

Most but not all of my customers prefer the glassy finish of CA. A few prefer the feel of the wood.

By the way, if you do a CA finish but don't polish it all the way, the result looks and feels quite woody.

Wildman

I think there is a time and place for every type of finish including none for wood pens. I started using friction finishing on all my wood pens. Now use any film finishes other than CA, only because sensitive to the stuff and do not feel it works with every type of wood.

Posted a picture in another thread of friction finish on spalted wood done eight years ago. Show me a CA finish 8 years old and used daily.

Randy Simmons

If I make a pen for myself, I like a natural finish. I am more of a production turner, however, and most of your average customer will be much more interested in that glasslike CA finish. Shiny things, you know?

Top Bottom