Foggy CA/BLO Finish - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I actually had my very first "fogging" this weekend. I'm blaming it on the heat and humidity which were really high. I started making pens in the winter, so this is the first time I have experienced the H/H factor. Are there any adjustments people make in hot, humid weather?
kovalcik is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

It was really hot and humid last night and I had this happen again. I found I can minimize the chance of it happening by letting the CA (I use medium after the first 2 coats) dry slightly on the blank for a couple minutes before hitting it with the accelerator. After spraying accelerator and giving it a few seconds to set, I would stop the lathe and take a good look to see if I got any fogging. I got some once that was right on the surface and I was able to just wipe it off. Then on my last coat I may not have waited long enough ...I got a little that I needed to sand out because it wasn't right on the surface. It quickly sanded out.

It definitely helped to let the CA cure a little before accelerating but it wasn't perfect.
SCR0LL3R is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR0LL3R View Post
It was really hot and humid last night and I had this happen again. I found I can minimize the chance of it happening by letting the CA (I use medium after the first 2 coats) dry slightly on the blank for a couple minutes before hitting it with the accelerator. After spraying accelerator and giving it a few seconds to set, I would stop the lathe and take a good look to see if I got any fogging. I got some once that was right on the surface and I was able to just wipe it off. Then on my last coat I may not have waited long enough ...I got a little that I needed to sand out because it wasn't right on the surface. It quickly sanded out.

It definitely helped to let the CA cure a little before accelerating but it wasn't perfect.
Just a suggestion.....Don't spray the accelerator directly onto the blank. Even though the aresol type cans have a finer spray than the pump style bottles, you may be putting more on in one area than another. When the CA cures it leaves a white residue, which may be the stuff you are wiping off. Try spraying the accelerator onto a clean towel, then wiping this across the blank a few times. Repeat this step for every coat.
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 28

I have gone through times where this has happened. In my experience, it seems to come down to either freshness of the CA or moisture; either moisture in the wood or high humidity.

I use DNA on oily woods prior to CA/BLO and have had good luck.

IMO, accelerators can cause CA to cloud up, particularly thin CA. Aerosol is less likely to cause clouding.

Can you see why the CA finish process is always such an enigma? It seems to be different for everyone.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default Everyone has their own technique

Everyone has their own technique, so here is mine. I use CA/BLO for all my wood pens because I like the feel of the pen better when writing with it over straight CA. I MM to 12000, clean the blank with compressed air, then apply Mylands sanding sealer using a folded paper towel. I leave the lathe on and after a few seconds, I use a dry piece of paper towel to burnish the sealer. Using another piece of paper towel, I put about two drops of BLO on and apply this to the wood and bushings, helps with sticking problems, then use a dry section to remove the excess. I then place a small puddle of medium CA onto the BLO section of paper towel and apply to the wood using a constant back and forth motion and moderate pressure. If it is really humid, you may get a slight fog form, but keep going and it will shine back up after a few seconds. After the CA dries, usually about 30 seconds or so, I use another clean piece of paper towel to repeat the process. I usually apply 4 coats of CA/BLO. I do not wet sand afterward, it is not needed. I do apply two coats of HUT friction polish to resist fingerprints. You will get a really nice shine but the wood will still look like wood and not plastic. I have been carrying the same pen for over a year and use it daily. The shine is still great. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

Last edited by MSGMP; 07-24-2011 at 10:59 AM.
MSGMP is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I got a lot of fogging until I learned to hold the accelerator can about 18 inches away from the finish. Cleared it right up.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chapter Steering Committee

i stopped using blo for this reason, i do two coats of thin ca then finish with medium. i also only use 2p10 ca. i don't any issues now.
pensbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will try as many of them as possible. I have wondered if it was moisture, but I have had this problem both during the winter months as well as the summer months. Right now I am storing all of the blanks I am planning to turn in my air conditioned house for a week before I turn them. I have had this fogging problem on Black Walnut, Ebony, Paduke, Maple, Curly Oak and probably several others. I am going to take another look at my CA. I have had it around for about 3 months. I am going to try the DNA approach as well. I don't have any accelerator so I will have to wait with that idea but may give that a shot as well.

Dulos
Dulos is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulos View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will try as many of them as possible. I have wondered if it was moisture, but I have had this problem both during the winter months as well as the summer months. Right now I am storing all of the blanks I am planning to turn in my air conditioned house for a week before I turn them. I have had this fogging problem on Black Walnut, Ebony, Paduke, Maple, Curly Oak and probably several others. I am going to take another look at my CA. I have had it around for about 3 months. I am going to try the DNA approach as well. I don't have any accelerator so I will have to wait with that idea but may give that a shot as well.

Dulos
The LACK of accellerator may be it, too. I couldn't finish a pen to save the lives of 1,000 babies until i got the accellerator and then figured out how to use it. I use the stuff at Woodcraft. I think it's Stik-Fast.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

I had two different accelerators and combined em into 1 bottle thinking they were the same... Not a good idea unless you want a white crackling finish.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=8456#

and

http://www.craftsmensupply.com/index...roducts_id=428

Two very different products... The latter being much easier to work with. The first one takes a long time to evaporate and gets all over my lathe whereas the 2nd one evaporates almost instantly.
SCR0LL3R is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads