Fix a transmission that went in too far? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Fix a transmission that went in too far?

A young person of my acquaintance was assembling his first-ever pen (slimline), and he pushed the transmission in too far by just a half mm. Now, even when the pen is fully 'retracted,' the tip of the refill sticks out past the tip of the pen.

Is there any way to back the transmission up without knocking the parts apart and ruining the pen?
SitsQuietly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 63

I am going to leave this one to the experts. I have never had this problem but I don't make many slims.

I am going to subscribe to this thread because I am interested in the answers you get.

(I will hazard a guess .... separate the two barrels .... get yourself a set of Transfer Punches (about $12 for the set at HF or Grizz) .... use one of the smallest ones that fits through the middle of the transmission just barely and use it to knock out the nose cone of the pen .... then get a bigger one (a snug fit) and stick it in the now opened end .... it should butt up against the end of the transmission that is inside the brass tube .... very gently tap on the end of this transfer punch until you move the transmission out by the 0.5 mm or so ... whatever you think you need ... but you better be right ! )

I think there is a "line" marking the correct depth for the transmission .... the line of demarcation between the steel body and threaded top of the transmission .... I think that "line" should be at the top of the glued-in brass tube .... check with the experts

It's better to get that "line" too far out to start with .... re-insert the nose cone .... then make fine adjustments to the transmission depth.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 04-15-2018 at 01:07 AM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2018, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitsQuietly View Post
A young person of my acquaintance was assembling his first-ever pen (slimline), and he pushed the transmission in too far by just a half mm. Now, even when the pen is fully 'retracted,' the tip of the refill sticks out past the tip of the pen.

Is there any way to back the transmission up without knocking the parts apart and ruining the pen?
Wealth of info at your fingertips

http://content.penturners.org/librar...nassembly1.pdf

http://content.penturners.org/librar...ing_tranny.pdf

Transmission in to far....Help!

slimline tranny problem

SitsQuietly boy I could never use that as my sign-on name

Last edited by jttheclockman; 04-15-2018 at 01:13 AM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2018, 03:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

With that small of a distance, just unscrew the refill a tiny bit. It functions perfectly well, the transmission is not affected.

I purposely push the tranny in a bit too far, that way customers can adjust the refill to their own taste.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2018, 03:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Duplicate

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi

Last edited by thewishman; 04-15-2018 at 03:52 AM.
thewishman is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 61

The suggestions above are good ones. You will find endless uses for a set of transfer punches.

It is possible to adjust the transmission without removing the nib. See this article in the Wiki "Transmission Adjustment".

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 63

Chris' suggestion is a good thing to try also. After you have unscrewed a little bit you can wrap (and tie) some sewing thread around the little gap that results between the transmission top and the black end of the Cross refill. This will tend to tighten up any looseness. I had forgotten about this method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishman View Post
With that small of a distance, just unscrew the refill a tiny bit. It functions perfectly well, the transmission is not affected.

I purposely push the tranny in a bit too far, that way customers can adjust the refill to their own taste.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

"A young person of my acquaintance" - really?

We've all done this. And having done it once (maybe twice), we learn to test how far the nib extends, and gradually sneak up on the correct depth.

The solution I use when I make this mistake is the approach described in the 'Transmission Adjustment' link provided by Randy.
monophoto is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads