Fix a transmission that went in too far?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SitsQuietly

A young person of my acquaintance was assembling his first-ever pen (slimline), and he pushed the transmission in too far by just a half mm. Now, even when the pen is fully 'retracted,' the tip of the refill sticks out past the tip of the pen.

Is there any way to back the transmission up without knocking the parts apart and ruining the pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I am going to leave this one to the experts. I have never had this problem but I don't make many slims.

I am going to subscribe to this thread because I am interested in the answers you get.

(I will hazard a guess .... separate the two barrels .... get yourself a set of Transfer Punches (about $12 for the set at HF or Grizz) .... use one of the smallest ones that fits through the middle of the transmission just barely and use it to knock out the nose cone of the pen .... then get a bigger one (a snug fit) and stick it in the now opened end .... it should butt up against the end of the transmission that is inside the brass tube .... very gently tap on the end of this transfer punch until you move the transmission out by the 0.5 mm or so ... whatever you think you need ... but you better be right ! )

I think there is a "line" marking the correct depth for the transmission .... the line of demarcation between the steel body and threaded top of the transmission .... I think that "line" should be at the top of the glued-in brass tube .... check with the experts

It's better to get that "line" too far out to start with .... re-insert the nose cone .... then make fine adjustments to the transmission depth.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

A young person of my acquaintance was assembling his first-ever pen (slimline), and he pushed the transmission in too far by just a half mm. Now, even when the pen is fully 'retracted,' the tip of the refill sticks out past the tip of the pen.

Is there any way to back the transmission up without knocking the parts apart and ruining the pen?

Wealth of info at your fingertips:)

http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/penassembly1.pdf

http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/removing_tranny.pdf

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/transmission-far-help-34424/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/slimline-tranny-problem-65324/

SitsQuietly boy I could never use that as my sign-on name:eek::biggrin:

Last edited:

thewishman

With that small of a distance, just unscrew the refill a tiny bit. It functions perfectly well, the transmission is not affected.

I purposely push the tranny in a bit too far, that way customers can adjust the refill to their own taste.

magpens

Chris' suggestion is a good thing to try also. After you have unscrewed a little bit you can wrap (and tie) some sewing thread around the little gap that results between the transmission top and the black end of the Cross refill. This will tend to tighten up any looseness. I had forgotten about this method.

With that small of a distance, just unscrew the refill a tiny bit. It functions perfectly well, the transmission is not affected.

I purposely push the tranny in a bit too far, that way customers can adjust the refill to their own taste.

monophoto

"A young person of my acquaintance" - really?

We've all done this. And having done it once (maybe twice), we learn to test how far the nib extends, and gradually sneak up on the correct depth.

The solution I use when I make this mistake is the approach described in the 'Transmission Adjustment' link provided by Randy.

Top Bottom