First time using micro mesh. WOW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

Always thought of micro mesh as just another polishing product to extract cash from my pocket and, hey.... my pens looked ok to me anyway. Well I came across a price on them that I couldn't pass up so I picked up a set of them this week. Polished up my first pen tonight with them and WOW I'm very impressed with how much deeper the finish looks. I may be the last one around to start using them but glad I finally tried them. If your new...do yourself a favor and get a set of them....glad I did.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Always thought of micro mesh as just another polishing product to extract cash from my pocket and, hey.... my pens looked ok to me anyway. Well I came across a price on them that I couldn't pass up so I picked up a set of them this week. Polished up my first pen tonight with them and WOW I'm very impressed with how much deeper the finish looks. I may be the last one around to start using them but glad I finally tried them. If your new...do yourself a favor and get a set of them....glad I did.

No, your not the last one to start using MM. There are I think 3 others still not using it. Anyway, I was surprised the first time I used MM too. Although that was over a decade ago. :biggrin: It's always fun to try something new and see a big difference. Glad you came across a good price, MM can be a touch pricey, but if you take care of it, will last a long time.

Curt

Rink

I use about 20 coats of CA on my wooden pens (not on acrylics)...and then wet sand through all 9 MM grits. I get great depth of finish. 20 coats is probably overkill, but the pens look good. The final MM grit doesn't even feel like it has any grit. I usually use slower speeds on the first four grits, then turn up the speed a bit for the next four, then even higher for the final grit. I don't know if that's the best way, just what I've done.

Recently, I got a mesh zippered bag at walmart (the kind you wash unmentionables in)...put the MM pads in that, and my wife tossed them in with the wash. I think that extended their life considerably.

CREID

I use about 20 coats of CA on my wooden pens (not on acrylics)...and then wet sand through all 9 MM grits. I get great depth of finish. 20 coats is probably overkill, but the pens look good. The final MM grit doesn't even feel like it has any grit. I usually use slower speeds on the first four grits, then turn up the speed a bit for the next four, then even higher for the final grit. I don't know if that's the best way, just what I've done.

Recently, I got a mesh zippered bag at walmart (the kind you wash unmentionables in)...put the MM pads in that, and my wife tossed them in with the wash. I think that extended their life considerably.

I just keep mine in a plastic food container full of water. I only use MM pads for wet sanding. I have sheets for dry sanding, but seldom do that with MM.

Curt

Charlie69

Micro Mesh is a nice product that I used for years on other finishes, before I started turning pens, but I haven't used it since I started using a buffer. Tripoli & White diamond are all I use now. Buffing is another way to get nice looking finishes that appealed to me because it's so inexpensive and (I believe) gives a superior polish to micro meshing on the lathe.

Top Bottom