First time CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sean Troy

I love that finish !!! I did several of my pens with that finish today and they came out great. I did it the same way Russ Fairfield shows in the IAP library except I went through the MM grits before and afterwords. Does anyone ever use Renaissance Wax over the CA finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

CA is great finish. So far I did not use Renaissance Wax, only buffing with tripoli and white diamond.
Do you guys use Renaissance Wax instead of buffing or over the top of the buffing waxes ? Does Renaissance Wax takes off the shine - like carnuba wax ?

mdburn_em

CA is great finish. So far I did not use Renaissance Wax, only buffing with tripoli and white diamond.
Do you guys use Renaissance Wax instead of buffing or over the top of the buffing waxes ? Does Renaissance Wax takes off the shine - like carnuba wax ?

I do not buff. I do use Ren wax. With the grits I use, I think buffing is going backward.

Tn-Steve

I tried using Russ's method last night, just playing around on some old stuff I had turned. It rocked. I don't have MM yea, (waiting for the UPS box to arrive), but just sanded down to 600 grit, burnished with wood shavings, applied 3 coats of CA, and then polished it with "Mothers Mag Polish" on the lathe. There were some very fine ridges, but I suspect that doing an actual wet sanding out will eliminate them totally. Next tool purchase will be an actual buffer.

The only way I can describe the finish is that it has a very nice "feel" in the hand. I was afraid that it would feel plasticly but it really feels good. I did 3 small pieces and each one came out better than the one before.

Steve W

Last edited:
S

spiritwoodturner

I'm with Jason, the cream polish stuff from Hut (or any of the plastic polishing stuff) will definitely improve the finish over 12,000. I use that and then RenWax.

Dale

Top Bottom