Finishing Worthless Wood Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Kardell

I tried my first mixed material blank - a worthless maple wood with blue acrylic. The maple looked great while sanding, but because it was a mixed material blank I decided to finish like acrylic. My thinking was the acrylic wouldn't look good if I sanded only to a 400 grit the way I normally do with wood. The final sanding at 2000 though turned the maple grey. I had used some wet sanding but thought the light maple would return when it dried - it didn't and the pen looks nice but the maple is a grey instead of the light color it should be.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to finish a mixed material blank to keep the wood looking good?

Any suggestions to keep maple from greying or darkening during the final finish?

Thanks,

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

When I've turned pens out of blanks like that, I usually give it a CA finish. The CA fills the scratches in the acrylic or alumilite or whatever the material is. Finish it like you would a wooden blank with CA. I don't think I'd wet sand, as sometimes I'll manage to sand through the CA and have to take another run at the finish.

Don Rabchenuk

_DSC0053.jpg This pen was first dry sanded with mm to 12000 then finished with ca. and mm again to 12000. I feel the acrylic gets more depth when doing the mm before applying the ca then polishing again.

farmer

Maple

I tried my first mixed material blank - a worthless maple wood with blue acrylic. The maple looked great while sanding, but because it was a mixed material blank I decided to finish like acrylic. My thinking was the acrylic wouldn't look good if I sanded only to a 400 grit the way I normally do with wood. The final sanding at 2000 though turned the maple grey. I had used some wet sanding but thought the light maple would return when it dried - it didn't and the pen looks nice but the maple is a grey instead of the light color it should be.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to finish a mixed material blank to keep the wood looking good?

Any suggestions to keep maple from greying or darkening during the final finish?

Thanks,

Bob

Did you sand across the grain ?
Did you have you lathe running while you were sanding ?

Did you have your 5 horse air compressor shooting air across where you were sanding so the grey saw dust doesn't contaminate the wood and make it turn gray or dirty.

Just a couple of swipes with new clean dry sand paper that hasn't ever sanded on anything before.

Blow what ever amount of clean dry oil free compressed air you need so the grey saw dust doesn't get in the open pours of the wood grain and makes it look like you threw it in a mud puddle..

BigNick73

You can probably sand that blank some and get the wood color back.

I do a lot of wood cast blanks, and I dry sand all the way through the micromesh to 12K. This is overkill for the wood but gets the acrylic as closed to polished as possible without using liquids.

Then finish with CA, and wet sand with the micro mesh. The CA will hide most micro scratch/swirl marks in the acrylic but you want it as smooth as possible because deeper scratches that you think would fill will show, black and darker acrylics are the worst.

TonyL

I use a CA finish.
But before that blow-out any residual sanding powder (forced air), and wipe it a few times with DNA on a paper towel, then blow-out again until I can't see any sanding powder. I don't wet sand anything, but I am in the minority.

endacoz

Can we see a photo of your blank?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Kardell

I am attaching a photo.

To answer some of the questions - yes I sand with the grain between grits; I use DNA to clean off the blanks before finishing; I do sand on the lathe.

I purchased another blank and tried it... the second one came out much better without the wet sanding.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_4238.jpg
    IMG_4238.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 430
Top Bottom