Finishing tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nativewooder

I'm getting ready to use all the polymer clay, feather, abalone, etc, blanks that I have as the "ladies" I have shown them to want to get theirs first! Of those penturners with experience with these types of blanks, are there any tips or hints to keep me from blundering and ruining too many? Your time and advice is really appreciated as I'm not the brightest bulb!:tongue:

Barry, you will find that each of these materials will have it's own finishing technic. The polymer clay will need to be slightly turned to the bushings/size then finished with CA just as you would do wood.

The feathers and abalone are typically cast in poly resin, alumilite, or a similar resin material and they will need to be carefully turned to proper dimension and then wet sanded with conventional sandpaper or micro mesh(your choice) and finally polished with a plastic polish.

If you have never worked with resin before, I would suggest you do a lot of reading, watch some youtube videos, and buy some inexpensive resin to turn before you buy the expensive abalone/feather blanks.

Top Bottom