Finishing Texas Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BlackPearl

I have just gotten two very nice blanks of Texas Ebony and I am going to make my first "set" Roller ball, Pencil and FP. I know that it is very oily and difficult to finish.

Afore I mess these up are the any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Cliff,
I clean off oily woods using CA accelerator (the kind in the 8 oz containers, not the areosol) just prior to using CA glue as the finish. I have done this with Tex ebony and it worked fine. i don't see why it wouldn't work for other finishes.

If you have any problems and want, bring the barrels to SWAT and we will finish them there...or give it a good Texas try. I don't think you will have any problems.

I suppose other "solvents" would work but I stick to CA accelerator if using CA glue as the finish.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have just gotten two very nice blanks of Texas Ebony and I am going to make my first "set" Roller ball, Pencil and FP. I know that it is very oily and difficult to finish.

plantman

Ebony

Cliff,
I clean off oily woods using CA accelerator (the kind in the 8 oz containers, not the areosol) just prior to using CA glue as the finish. I have done this with Tex ebony and it worked fine. i don't see why it wouldn't work for other finishes.

If you have any problems and want, bring the barrels to SWAT and we will finish them there...or give it a good Texas try. I don't think you will have any problems.

I suppose other "solvents" would work but I stick to CA accelerator if using CA glue as the finish.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

:cool::cool: I agree with Don. Make sure you clean off your blank, your lathe, and anything else that dust lands on with some type of solvent. Also I would wear a dust mask and goggles while turning it. It will polish up nicely with no finish, a wax finish, or CA. Jim S

alamocdc

I've also used Acetone to cut the oil on oily blanks prior to finishing with good success. I have also simply used the natural oils in oily woods as the finish and just polished it out. It will patina a little, but I've seen many of these after a few years of daily use and they still look great. They won't be glossy like pens with a more traditional finish, but some people prefer the natural look. Just another option.

Top Bottom