Finishing Steelwood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

What do people recommend for finishing steelwood? Do you put any sort of finish on it? I'm thinking it's probably not necessary since it's such a heavy laminated wood, but I am curious what others do with their pens made out of this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

When I use steelwood I just use Micro Mesh and buff. Steelwood will poish like glass without any finish at all. But, your finish of choice coujld be used.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

What do people recommend for finishing steelwood? Do you put any sort of finish on it? I'm thinking it's probably not necessary since it's such a heavy laminated wood, but I am curious what others do with their pens made out of this?

its_virgil

Steelwood aka PakkaWood is similar to colorwood or colorply or di\yamondwood.

http://www.rutply.com/products/colorwood.html

Fibron Wood and Products Company is the industry leader in impregnated (compreg) wood laminates, with the unique capability to both manufacture and custom machine compreg materials. Specializing in a product called PakkaWood®, which combines the beauty of hardwoods and the strength and performance benefits of plastic, Fibron is uniquely qualified to help you enhance the appearance and durability of your products. Used a lot as knife handles and gun stocks, PakkaWood® is truly a remarkable material. I have been working with some sheet stock and round stock (dowel rods) for a while now and I love the look and feel of the material. It cuts like butter yet is stronger than any wood. What's really neat is that even though it is more like plastic than wood, it looks like wood right down to the grain, which will splinter just like real wood! Also, color and finish (resin) are impregnated into the veneer before they are pressed into panels. This result is that the color and finish extend through the complete thickness of the panel! And they feature some cool colors too; from regular dark walnut or blonde oak colorings to green, red, and even mixed and striped color patterns. Fibron offers you an endless selection of sizes, shapes, and colors to choose from. Lastly, you can achieve a gloss finish on PakkaWood® that is unlike any finish you can get on real wood. A bit of fine sanding and then buff the material with a wax makes it shine like glass! Works great for plaques and other presentation setups.

Dymondwood is formed from mutiple layers of thin natural American hardwoods, dyed then pressed together with resins under extreme heat and pressure to form a permanent bond. Designed to give a lifetime of durability and beauty, this unique material resists cracking, chipping and staining. Dymondwood colors are deep and vibrant. No two pieces will be exactly the same. Different wood grains and pigmentation will take the dyes differently and the thickness variations of the woods will produce a slightly different effect on each piece. This quality will add to the customization of your handle, making it one of a kind. The color combinations are listed to help you choose a color that will be pleasing to you. View our color link to see available color choices. Dymondwood is a trademark of RPC.

http://www.rutply.com/products/colorwood-gallery.html

Do a good turn daily~
Don

What is steelwood???
Travis

Top Bottom