Finishing Stabilized Purple Dyed Buckeye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevenhuff

I have a stabilized purple dyed Buckeye blank and need suggestions on how to finish it. I am new to pen turning and have only made a handful of pens. I have been using cellulose sanding sealer after sanding and Doctor's Pens Plus for the finish on the pens I have made so far.

Can I use this method to finish the dyed Buckeye or is there another method that I should use? I have been told that I can use One Step Plastic Polish but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. I really do not want to ruin a blank.

robutacion

I have a stabilized purple dyed Buckeye blank and need suggestions on how to finish it. I am new to pen turning and have only made a handful of pens. I have been using cellulose sanding sealer after sanding and Doctor's Pens Plus for the finish on the pens I have made so far.

Can I use this method to finish the dyed Buckeye or is there another method that I should use? I have been told that I can use One Step Plastic Polish but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. I really do not want to ruin a blank.

Well, with stabilised wood, dyed or not, any finish type is OK, the stabilised wood becomes sealed so, if you are looking for a satin/natural type look/feel. fine sanding and some friction polishing will suffice, however, if you want a glossy finish, you have a number of products that can give you that, with CA finish as the one that will produce the deepest gloss.

I can't really go wrong with any of the finishes...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom