Finishing Question ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

While I doing pens some people on this site use denaturated spirit to whipe the dust off after every grade of mm while doing sanding, and some use mineral oil in they last finishing state of turning items, I went to all the store in my town, I mean chermist, paint shop, hardware store, and so on , no body know about denaturated spirit or mineral oil.

SO my Questions is

Beside using denaturated spirit for pen, what are you using it for in normal use at home ??

Mineral oil, what is mineral oil?? and what do you use it for at home ??.

I'm pretty sure that we got this in Australia but under different name .

Any help ?

Thank you

Serge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Both are used for paint thinners and are the main ingrediant in many commercially branded thinners and strippers. The spirit should be mineral spirits, denatured being a treatment for the compound. Don't know of another name for mineral oil. Hopefully Lou, or one of the others with more of a chemistry background, will pipe in soon.

The basic idea however is to use something that will assist in pulling the sanding dust out of the grain of the wood to give a clean surface for the next step in the process. Merely wiping the surface often "packs" the sawdust in the grain.

Good luck.

Fred in NC

Denatured ALCOHOL (spirits) is the solvent for SHELLAC. Maybe the hardware store people will understand if you mention this.

Please look at this page:

http://www.npi.gov.au/database/substance-info/profiles/35.html

I much prefer using this because it will evaporate quickly with no residue. For that matter, any kind of alcohol should work. Plain rubbing alcohol should also work OK. (Some have a lot of additives)

MINERAL OIL is a laxative. I buy it at the drugstore. It leaves an oily residue that might affect some kinds of finishes.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Aren't you is AU?? Words and their meanings will have some differences.

Ask anybody who sells paint for whatever they would use to thin shellac. I don't recall what you call it down there, but it will be something that has the word "spirits" in it. Ask for Methanol or Methyl Spirits. They may also relate to "Wood Alcohol".

Mineral Oil is called Paraffin Oil in the rest of the English speaking world. From your Chemist, they might relate to a "laxative oil".

Mineral Spirits is universally known as Paint Thinner. It may have Naptha or some other petroleum distillates in it, but it still ralates to thinning oil based paint.

Gary

The two most commonly found alcohols are ethanol (ethyl alcohol) as found in whiskey, and isopropyl alcohol as found in rubbing alcohol. Denatured alcohol is ethanol that has been made unfit for human consumption by the addition of harmful additives in order to make it exempt from taxes. As Fred stated, denatured alcohol is the main solvent for disolving shellac flakes. Wood alcohol is methanol and is derived by the distructive distillation of wood.

Mineral spirits is a blend paraffins, cycloparaffins and aromatic hydrocarbons with boiling points which lie within a specific range. It's primary use is as a paint thinner and paint clean-up solvent.

Mineral oil is a refined crude oil product whose main use is as a lubricant.

Denatured alcohol is used to wipe wood down during sanding because it's highly volatile and evaporites quickly without a residue. Lacquer thinner works just as well. Mineral spirits or naptha will take longer to evaporate and can leave a residue. You can also just use compressed air and avoid the continued used of solvents if you wish.

Darley

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />Aren't you is AU?? Words and their meanings will have some differences.

Ask anybody who sells paint for whatever they would use to thin shellac. I don't recall what you call it down there, but it will be something that has the word "spirits" in it. Ask for Methanol or Methyl Spirits. They may also relate to "Wood Alcohol".

Mineral Oil is called Paraffin Oil in the rest of the English speaking world. From your Chemist, they might relate to a "laxative oil".

Mineral Spirits is universally known as Paint Thinner. It may have Naptha or some other petroleum distillates in it, but it still ralates to thinning oil based paint.

Thank you very much for your answers all of you and yes we do have those product here, mineral turp ( paint thiner ) and the well know parrafine oil ( many use for this one ) I have to ask the question we are different country with different words or meaning but the product is the same. Russ, Yes I'm from Down
Under Australia queensland states, Fred thanks for the link this is helpful

Cheer all of you and thanks again

Serge

Fred in NC

By the way, after doing some research, I find that what we buy in the US drug stores with the MINERAL OIL label, as a laxative, is LIQUID PETROLATUM. Some turners have used it on salad bowls, since it is edible. Also, it is a good preservative for IVORY, to keep it from cracking.

Kerosene, also called mineral oil by some, is a different substance. Like Russ said, it is called PARAFFIN OIL in the UK and AU, and people refer to it simply as PARAFFIN. What we buy in the US as paraffin they call PARAFFIN WAX.

I love doing such research to find the truth and facts. I learn a lot from it.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
"We are a common people, separated by a common language."

You need an English/English dictionary. The following is a good one for starters.

http://www.effingpot.com/index.shtml

Darley

Well Fred what a good men you are with all this knowledge to share with us, thank you very much .

Russ thanks for you English dictionary, but you see here we don't use much as we are our own look at this [:D]

http://www.australianexplorer.com/australian_slang.htm

Hope you enjoy

Serge

woodpens

Thanks for the link, Serge. My 16 year old son is headed your way in June for 3 weeks. He'll like the site. He is getting more and more excited every day!

Gary

Like the rum my aunt used to buy to make gumbo...two tablespoons full for the gumbo and the rest for the cook.

Originally posted by Gregory Huey
<br />Denatured alcohol is ok but I like the stuff that is for human comsumption. and use a tack rag on the blank.

woodpens

Originally posted by Darley
<br />Jim if he want to see Fraser Island is welcome to see me, we may have breaky together, and I will show him around
I am not sure where they (People to People) are going, but I'll have him take a look. If he will be going anywhere near you, we'll exchange contact info. Thanks for the hospitality!

Darley

No worries Jim you can contact me on my e-mail.

Here's 2 links

http://www.dkd.net/fraser/

http://www.herveybaytourism.com.au/

If is comming a litle later around end July or August I can put him on a friend boat for Whale Watching.

Serge

Darley

Originally posted by Gary
<br />Like the rum my aunt used to buy to make gumbo...two tablespoons full for the gumbo and the rest for the cook.

Originally posted by Gregory Huey
<br />Denatured alcohol is ok but I like the stuff that is for human comsumption. and use a tack rag on the blank.

Well guy's in a nice way to double or triple your production, [:D][:D]

Serge

Darley

Found today what you call in the States denaturated spirit, we call this Methylated Spirits ( 95% Ethanol ) gosh that what the boss at home use to clean the windows with news paper [8D].

BTW some low class people here drink it with OJ [xx(]

Serge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom