Finishing Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TXTurner

I'm wondering if any of you could help me out please.

I'm working on an acrylic pen that's mostly all black, and therefore any minor scratch is apparent.

I sanded from 200, then MM to 12,000, then buffed with WD and finished with HUT plastic polish. This regimen has worked in the past, but not now. I continue to see very minor scratches in some lighting conditions.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Something I'm doing wrong? I'm at the point that I'm wondering if I should turn black acrylic anymore; it makes for a beautiful pen, but the finishing always causes problems.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Black will magnify any scratches. Take extra time to sand lengthwise with the lathe off before proceeding to the next grit. Also, wipe the blank down thoroughly between grits to remove any debris.

A buffer does take a lot of the elbow grease out of the polishing phase.

Bear-31

I agree with Mackc. 200 is way to coarse for acrylic. I have found that when sanding acrylic I always wet sand with lots of water. (I put a towel on the ways of the lathe to keep them dry) and I also sand at 2600rpm. I only stop about every 3rd grit to sand lengthwise on the blank but every grit wouldn't hurt. I haven't had any problems leaving scratches. I follow MM up with a car wax swirl remover and carnuba car wax.

jttheclockman

Did not see the 200 grit in your post but yes that is your first and foremost problem. Acrylic should never need to be started at 200 and even wood does not need that. 400 or I even start at 600 and go from there. Stop the lathe and go length wise with the blank after each grit especially a black blank because it shows every little line. Also wipe the blank down after each grit so no remaing residue is left on it when you go up in grits. Good luck

Top Bottom