Finishing Polyester Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

Final step buffing wheel. The customers at pen show use 10x loop. If they see any scratches they pass on the pen. Make sure do not build any heat while sanding. I sand around 1300 rpm.

bruce119

I just wet sand through the micro micro mesh. Then finish up with Novus 2 (I don't use 3 I think it is too aggressive) keep the Novus 2 wet and watch the heat if it gets too hot you can scorch it. Then I will use Novus 1 that is just basically a cleaner anitstatic to finish off with. Should finish up like glass.

Wright

Thanks all so much. I just got set up to make my own resin blanks and needed to know how to finish them. I'll be using 3/4 pvc for the mold. Is it best to use the Woodchuck to turn the blanks or HHS? I have a bowl gouge and a Crown 3/4 ruffing tool. Just got the woodchuck.

swanny70

Sorry to jump in mid-stream....I'm new to pen making and I use CA glue to finish my wood pens. If I do acrylic or PR do I need to put a finish on them or just sand them to MM12000?

yorkie

Here's a tip with poly-resin, works on acrylic and alumilite too.

Get a piece of cotton t-shirt material and, once you've finished all the polishing, hold it firmly against the material as it spins at high speed and, after a few seconds you will see another level of shine pop!

Don't hold it too firm or it will burn.

Top Bottom