Finishing IBO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I got two beautiful Irish Bog Oak blanks from Mike aka "Russianwolf " Now I'm trying to decide how to finish this wood, Question is whether to leave the grain pronounced and just do an oil finish, or to get the Shine and glass smooth finish with CA. suggestions please

Rudy Vey

IBO is a wood that I will not finish with CA. For Irish Bog Oak, I like to keep the grain structure "feelable". I use either Enduro or Unxaxol - lately more the latter one. I get a pretty good finish, but also keep some of the open grain structure. For some experiments I used CA, but I do not like this finish on IBO - but thats just me. I also had some stabilized and these pens do not get a finish at all, just good sanding through all MM grits.

bitshird

Thanks Rudy, I really didn't think a CA finish would be a great thing, I think there should be a tactile feel to the grain on this wood, it should feel old, I guess I'll wait until I can get some from Mobydick, I don't think any one else carries it do they, Also which formula are you using?

Rudy Vey

Thanks Rudy, I really didn't think a CA finish would be a great thing, I think there should be a tactile feel to the grain on this wood, it should feel old, I guess I'll wait until I can get some from Mobydick, I don't think any one else carries it do they, Also which formula are you using?
Same thought here, the feeling is very important for this wood. Many of my customers comment on this. I have to go to my shop in the morning and see what kind of Unaxol I have, its the glossy stuff. I apply 4 coats or so, let sit overnight and then finish sand 3200 to 12000 MM. Wayne Swindlehurst wrote up a finishing procedure for Enduro. I do the same, just do not use the sealer.

Top Bottom