Finishing in freezing temps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Razorburne

Hi guys. Quick question: my workshop happens to be outside in an untested garage. It's supposed to only be about 20 degrees as a high temp this weekend where I am. I know I can drill and turn and sand with no problems, but I am wondering if I can finish in such low temps? All my finishes are stored indoors and I would only bring outside when ready to start applying finish, but will the cold temps affect the finish? Should I wait for warmer temps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Wait until you get lots warmer temperatures to cure the finishes. I found at 50 degrees I was not getting ca to set reliably. And that was in Alaska.

JohnU

I've been working on some CA finishes of the past week with a few wood pens. I'm in my basement but its still cold this time of year. All of my CA has been taking longer to cure between coats. My suggestion, if your in a time crunch and cant move the lathe to a warmer area, make a heat box by cutting a cardboard box to fit around the mandrel or work area of the lathe and line it with tin foil (shiny side out) and place a clamp light above it. It should hold enough heat to warm the area enough for the CA to cure. Good Luck!

pianomanpj

During this time of year in Maine, I start my space heater in my unheated shop to get the temp to at least the mid-50's. I can do a decent finish at that temp, and not have to worry about getting a parka caught in the lathe. :wink:

jttheclockman

You have to get the temps up. You will never be able to get a good finish in cold. If you can not add a heater than wait till summer:)

Curly

You could take the blanks inside and try a dipped finish with water based polyurethane. No odour to speak of and it makes for a nice finish. The down side is it takes a few days. Have a look in the Library.

Razorburne

Thanks guys. Pretty much what I thought but wanted to make sure. I might try running a space heater to see if I can't warm thing up prior to finishing. If all else fails I can try again next weekend when it's supposed to be much warmer actually. I should still have enough time - just eager to finish because I will have the time to dedicate to it this weekend and they are for upcoming gifts. Mother Nature simply doesn't care that this weekend would work out well for me !

Dale Lynch

I've seen in the PSI catalog that they have a dedicated pen finishing jig.I imagine you have to suply the motor for the jig to rotate.Turn outside an then finish it indoors.Problem solved.

low_48

I'd even think the wood will move from being 20, then heated from the friction of sanding, then getting cold again. Might be asking for the wood to crack in those conditions. I'd move the lathe into the kitchen if you have to turn that urgently.

Skewer

I might be the odd man out here, i've had good luck finishing in the garage when it's freezing or close to it, but i am using accelerator. In contrast, i've had a issues when it was hot/very humid.

Razorburne

Well maybe with a space heater and things warmed up a bit, it will be enough to give it a shot. I suppose I will play it by ear and see how cold it is. Maybe I will wait. Maybe not. But I appreciate all the input. Very helpful guys. Thank you!

MTViper

One question I never saw answered was what kind of finish are you using? That might make a difference in whether they'd work or not.

Razorburne

If the package gets here in time I will be using Doctor's Woodshop products (walnut oil, pens Plus and wax. )
If not I will be using General Finishes Woodturners Finish

Not using CA. Not sure if that changes minds at all

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Would it be possible to build a booth around your bench by, hanging a tarp or even plywood? Maybe? That would give you a smaller space to heat. Just a thought. I think you like this hobby and, it may be quite awhile till springtime :wink:

MTViper

Pens Plus should work fine in cold weather since you're keeping the bottle inside until you need it. When you apply it, you'll generate plenty of heat so should not be a problem.

Top Bottom