Finishing/Drying Cabinet? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Finishing/Drying Cabinet?

I'm still trying to improve the finish technique on my wooden pens, and CA is not an option (bad, bad allergies!) - So with that in mind, I just began experimenting with Les Elm's dipping method and I'm liking what I see so far. Since my shop is my garage, with Winter here the temperature varies from a low of around 47 to a high of 62ish- too cold for finishing and curing.

I had just ordered one of the PSI Gang Drying Systems, so here's my question: Has anybody built (or thought of building) a heated finishing/drying cabinet? I'm thinking a cabinet just large enough for that drying system to fit in with a separate "compartment" for an appliance-type lamp - indirect heat, and just enough of it to keep the temp above 70-75 degrees.

Any pros/cons/other thoughts before I start buying materials?
gtriever is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

You may consider an old metal file cabinet...either 2drawer or 4 depending on your needs and space. You can make shelves from wire shelving and add a light bulb in the bottom for a heat source. A metal shield over the bulb will prevent any drips getting on it.
Making a hinged door would give the easiest access.
Many times you can get used file cabinets for free or $10.
Good luck!

Edit: Originally, I thought these would be great for drying green wood....vent holes in bottom and top so the air can move and breath.

Last edited by Charlie_W; 01-27-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Thought!
Charlie_W is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Get a large cardboard box, stick some dowels though it and cut an opening on one side so you can stick your hand/arm inside of it.

I also added a computer fan and a vent opening that I covered with a filter. You can buy filters that are about a foot square, the computer fan ran off of an old computer charging cord. These are the filters I use. 10" X 10" X 1" MERV 8 Pleated Filter, 6-Pack The fan was used as an exhaust fan on the opposite side of the box, it pulled in fresh air through the filter and exhausted the drying fumes.

Using a half sheet of wood have looked nicer, but my cardboard box was cheaper and folded up when not on use.
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2018, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Some might be interested in this article about a gunstock drying cabinet.

You Need A Stock Drying Cabinet
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

A busted wine or mini fridge would work. Get the freon removed if there is any left in it. You could make vent holes or leave the door cracked open a little. A thermostat could control the temperature.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Lowe's has a 30x12x12 unfinished kitchen cabinet on sale now for about 40 bucks that looks good for what I want to do. A thermostat AC control and a dual light socket should fix me right up.
gtriever is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads