Finishing/Drying Cabinet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

I'm still trying to improve the finish technique on my wooden pens, and CA is not an option (bad, bad allergies!) - So with that in mind, I just began experimenting with Les Elm's dipping method and I'm liking what I see so far. Since my shop is my garage, with Winter here the temperature varies from a low of around 47 to a high of 62ish- too cold for finishing and curing.

I had just ordered one of the PSI Gang Drying Systems, so here's my question: Has anybody built (or thought of building) a heated finishing/drying cabinet? I'm thinking a cabinet just large enough for that drying system to fit in with a separate "compartment" for an appliance-type lamp - indirect heat, and just enough of it to keep the temp above 70-75 degrees.

Any pros/cons/other thoughts before I start buying materials?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

You may consider an old metal file cabinet...either 2drawer or 4 depending on your needs and space. You can make shelves from wire shelving and add a light bulb in the bottom for a heat source. A metal shield over the bulb will prevent any drips getting on it.
Making a hinged door would give the easiest access.
Many times you can get used file cabinets for free or $10.
Good luck!

Edit: Originally, I thought these would be great for drying green wood....vent holes in bottom and top so the air can move and breath.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Get a large cardboard box, stick some dowels though it and cut an opening on one side so you can stick your hand/arm inside of it.

I also added a computer fan and a vent opening that I covered with a filter. You can buy filters that are about a foot square, the computer fan ran off of an old computer charging cord. These are the filters I use. 10" X 10" X 1" MERV 8 Pleated Filter, 6-Pack The fan was used as an exhaust fan on the opposite side of the box, it pulled in fresh air through the filter and exhausted the drying fumes.

Using a half sheet of wood have looked nicer, but my cardboard box was cheaper and folded up when not on use.

Curly

A busted wine or mini fridge would work. Get the freon removed if there is any left in it. You could make vent holes or leave the door cracked open a little. A thermostat could control the temperature.

gtriever

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Lowe's has a 30x12x12 unfinished kitchen cabinet on sale now for about 40 bucks that looks good for what I want to do. A thermostat AC control and a dual light socket should fix me right up.

Top Bottom