Finishing a decal pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Ok, I just finally successfully applied (and it took a while to figure out how much bonder to put on to keep from losing the ink) a decal to a pen barrel, and I thought, now I get to put the final CA finish on it. So naturally I then thought, how long do I wait before I do the CA finish? So my decal experienced forum friends, how long does one wait?:rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I usually wait until the next day just to be sure , but I have done it several hours later with no problems.

You know I didn't really think much about what to do. Do you do the CA normally starting with thin and then going to medium or do you start with Medium. Do I need to be gentle with the first coating or two? I really need to think these things through a little more before I start them instead of just jumping in the shallow end head first. But then that is how I started turning in the first place. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

library/pen_blanks/decal_blank.pdf

Yea, I read the article in the library, but things change over time and I wanted recent experience to see if things have changed, there are new inks and printers, possibly new techniques etc..

You should know better, the more things change the more they stay the same. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. :biggrin:

wouldentu2?

I usually wait until the next day just to be sure , but I have done it several hours later with no problems.

You know I didn't really think much about what to do. Do you do the CA normally starting with thin and then going to medium or do you start with Medium. Do I need to be gentle with the first coating or two? I really need to think these things through a little more before I start them instead of just jumping in the shallow end head first. But then that is how I started turning in the first place. :biggrin:

I use only thin for finishing, its only a hobby so time is less of a factor, (I almost never use accelerator) thin dries fast and the layer is not so thick that it creates an uneven finish requiring extra sanding.

First several coats of CA are just wiped over the decal to help seal the edges because several times I have lifted the edge of the decal with the lathe turning, after that probably 8 coats of CA before any sanding then more CA, sanding with MM.

Recently I added buffing with the Barry Gross setup, I had several blanks that I thought were completed but after buffing them I found some flaws that needed fixing.

Top Bottom