Finishing Corian/wood - Newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tijolima

:confused:Hello I'm a newbie here and this is my first post. I've made several dozen pens using both Corian and a variety of woods and have even been able to sell a few! I'm now trying to combine the materials and am wondering how to finish the combination. My woods I have been using a CA/BLO finish with BLO being applied first. My Corian pens are sanded to 12K and then polished with a plastic polish. I've been fortunate to have achieved very nice finishes but now my question is how do I finish a pen that contains both materials? I look forward to absorbing a little of the knowledge flowing on this forum. Thanks much for any suggestions. TimP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome Tim!!

You create a new problem for yourself by combining dissimilar materials. SOME woods will respond to the buffing, many will not. AND, they will not be likely to be very durable. On the other hand, a CA finish will not hurt or help corian. CA needs to "soak in" to create a finish and corian is not porous.

So, a lot depends on the KIND of wood, but, in general, rethink combining these two - corian and resin will work, though.

jkeithrussell

Combining different types of Corian makes for some pretty cool looking pens. I have seen a lot of nice looking pens that are wood that have a corian accent, but I don't recall seeing one that is corian with wood accents.

I make a lot of wood/corian pens and use a BLO/CA finish after sanding to 2000.
This is the same finish that I use with wood alone or combined with other plastics, antler, truestone, etc.

Larry

DurocShark

I prefer CA when mixing and matching materials because it bonds well to darn near everything and doesn't add any color (BLO excluded).

Top Bottom